Thursday, January 10, 2013

Performance Appraisal

At work it is time for us to be preparing for our yearly performance reviews, the Performance Appraisal document we are required to complete is due next Friday, at noon sharp (according to my manager ;).

This made me think about conducting a Performance Appraisal in other non-work related areas of my life. I have sometimes set goals or made resolutions for the next year but I have rarely actually sat down and documented what I had accomplished the previous year so I could build on that or formally identified areas 'for improvement'. I also never wrote down courses, books or articles that I had read during that year that related to the various life areas. I have often thought of things that I would like to learn or do 'someday' with no plan as to when or how I was ever going to get to them, therefore they are still unlearned or undone. This year I want to improve on that, not by creating a bucket list but more of a 'this year' list.

Setting SMART goals can help with accomplishing the things that make it to my list. I need to make sure my goals are -
Specific
measurable
attainable
realistic and relevant, and
time oriented.

I've also collected some questions, quotes and tips, many from Zig Ziglar, to help motivate me, both at work and in my personal life -

  • When was the last time you did something for the first time?  
  • Leave your comfort zone. Many people are unwilling to risk embarrassment and possible failure, even at their dreams expense.
  • Mistakes can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones.
  • Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. No matter what they are, you’re going to make mistakes, big and small. The only important thing is that you learn from them and move on.  The real loser is the person that doesn't even try.
  • Don’t think a dream is impossible. If it is important to you, whatever your goal is, take all the proper steps to make it happen. Who knows, your dream could come true. 
  • Choose to be happy. Happiness can’t be bought. It’s a choice that each person has to make. 
  • Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.
  • Finish what you start. Don’t leave that sweater half-knitted, that boat half-built, and don’t buy that Spanish dictionary and then never learn Spanish. When you finish what you start, you leave yourself with a feeling of accomplishment.
  • Every moment is sacred and precious. Enjoy every minute that you have. 
  • Luck is where opportunity meets preparation. 
  • If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost.
  • If you can dream it, then you can achieve it.
  • What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
  • When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal; you do not change your decision to get there.
  • Of all the attitudes we can acquire, surely the attitude of gratitude is the most important and by far the most life-changing.
  • Every choice you make has an end result.
  • When we do more than we are paid to do, eventually we will be paid more for what we do.
  • If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time.
  • There are no traffic jams on the extra mile.
  • Among the things you can give and still keep are your word, a smile, and a grateful heart.

Lots to think about. :)
I wonder what noon sharp really means? Is there a 'noon flat'?
Best get working on that Performance Appraisal ;)

Take care everyone.




2 comments:

  1. You inspire me. I could use a Performance Appraisal in my life, too.
    You take care, too.
    Love,
    Elinor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting read. Think I need to make some long-term goals/evaluations, too. Did you know that Zig Ziglar just passed away -- he was 86 and died on November 28th in Texas. Lots of articles about it if you google.

    Denise in Saskatchewan

    ReplyDelete