Thursday, July 4, 2013

Overdue post

Blog post written July 4th - unable to post until July 8th

It has been over a week since my last post. A very busy week!
On the Tuesday, I had neglected to check out post flood road closures. Following a wonderful chat with Norman, and missing my brownie as the bakery that supplied them was closed due to the flooding, I habitually started out on my usual route home. This turned out to be a big mistake. The road that I normally turn east onto was closed and a policeman was directing all traffic over the bridge and into the downtown area. Traffic was bumper to bumper and three lanes across. I was in the wrong lane to go south and west and ended up wandering the downtown area, trying to get south but working around road closures, no traffic lights and clean up crews. Finally another policeman asked me where I was going - I said 'Home'. He smiled gently and told me that if he knew where that was he could help me. I told him and he directed me to a street and bridge that was open. It was still bumper to bumper traffic and no lights. I drove past some of the worst flood damage and it took me two hours. As I drove I thought about how I just wanted to go home and I knew that my home was there waiting for me if I could just get to it. It hit home that for many after the flood this was not a possibility and yet they must just want to go 'home' also and have all be right with their world again.
Wednesday I got an early text telling me that Leisha was in labor and asking if we could be on call to the hospital. The airport is on the opposite side of the city from us and, traffic being what it was post flood, I didn't want to chance getting over there and then being called. Leah's mom and I visited via text and made a rain check for a really good face to face visit. Paisley Adeline entered the world at 6:24 p.m., 7 lb 5 oz and lots of dark hair. After so many boys in my life it is really incredible to hold this delicate little girl and hear the very feminine coos she makes. We have had the privilege of several visits with her, her parents and Charlie-dog since. Charlie is acting like a very protective big brother now, watching our every move with her. She is a beauty and I think she also already has Grandpa Rod wrapped around her little finger.
Yesterday, we travelled in the motorhome to Saskatchewan and I am comfortably lying in the motorhome bed while writing this. We will have a few days of vacation here before returning to a busy week once again, one that starts with a MUGA scan and then my first official start back to work since last June 20th.
Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment