Wednesday, June 6, 2012

First appointment


I was pretty relaxed when I went for my appointment at the Breast Health Clinic and kind of made a joke to myself that I was going above and beyond in my business analyst role to get the ‘patient experience’. I noted that this clinic had just gone up on a new electronic scheduling system and I was impressed when they handed me a little pager, telling me that when they were ready for me I would be paged and I was then to proceed to the back and hand the nurse the pager.  Impressive!
I hadn’t told my husband about my appointment as I felt that there was no need to concern him with it, I was used to having benign lumps and cysts.
I thought that the nurse and doctor appeared to agree with me that it probably was nothing to be concerned about; however I did notice that the doctor said he thought the lump I felt was glandular and that something had caused the gland to flare up. He said he would order a mammogram and ultrasound and then see me back in the clinic to review the results.
I was given a requisition for the mammogram/ultrasound and told my appointment at the Women’s Imaging clinic would be on June 8th at 9 a.m.  I was a little surprised that they were able to get me in for an appointment that soon, then went out to the front desk and arranged for my follow-up appointment, first available turned out to be 1 p.m. on June 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment