Friday, November 8, 2013

Deportation

Today was a long awaited day for me, I have finally been de-ported.

I'll explain.

Back at the end of July 2012, I had my power port inserted for the purpose of receiving the chemo infusions, and subsequently the Herceptin infusions which were completed on Octber 3rd, 2013.

My port has worked beautifully for me through the year plus that I have had it so I shouldn't complain, but it was just under my right collarbone and very prominent as that is also my operative side. There weren't many moments that I wasn't feeling some discomfort from it.

About two weeks ago I received the package in the mail that informed me of my impending deportation (my own description of the procedure). In preparation I needed to book labwork to be drawn three days prior to the removal, it included a CBC (complete blood count) and INR (a test to show how the blood is clotting). I was able to combine the bloodwork I needed post genetics counselling appointment (I will tell about this appointment in another post) with this lab appointment.

My genetics appointment was at the children's hospital here and my port removal today was at our newest hospital - I realized that after today's procedure I have been a patient at every hospital in our city - once again going above and beyond in my role with the health region.

My bloodwork must have passed as I was called yesterday with instructions as to where to report this a.m. and told to stay nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

Things moved quickly once I arrived.

There was no IV or sedation. The freezing was put in and I could feel the epinephrine in it making my heart beat a little quicker (the stinging of the freezing could have contributed to that also ;). Next thing I knew the surgeon was making his incision through the previous incision. There was a lot of pressure, pushing and pulling. I had to ask once for a little more freezing as he got deeper. I had been told by others that the removal was easy and took very little time, however this was not the case for me.

I will sum it up by copying what I wrote to two of my coworkers - my port and I had become quite attached to each other and it proved to be a difficult separation. The experience has left me numb.

Once done, the area was sutured, taped and dressed and then I was taken to an area to wait for a porter. While I was waiting they brought Rod over so he could go with me to the Day Medicine area and we had the opportunity to show off some of our pictures of our grandchildren to the nurse who waited with us.

I was observed in Day Medicine for an hour or so after the procedure and then we were allowed to leave. I've used an ice pack intermittently throughout the afternoon and early evening and taken some Tylenol - it is a little tender and achy but quite tolerable.

One more step towards that new normal.

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment