Saturday, March 22, 2014

It's a wonderful life

Back again, finally. Lots has happened since my return to work following vacation. The three full days, two half days a week have been a real challenge for me in regards to fatigue and that is with taking a personal leave day the first week back - I have about 26 hours of personal leave due me that I will lose if I don't take it by the end of the month. The other challenge is finding time in my schedule to take that time off.

Jordan and Kenny had birthdays last weekend, they are 10 years and 2 days apart. We had a wonderful celebration on Sunday evening complete with prime rib roast, yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted veggies and salad then finished off with cake and ice cream. It was all very tasty and Paisley provided wonderful entertainment showing us all her newly acquired skills, the most recent being clapping. She loves peek-a-boo and I was a very willing participant in the game so I could hear her delighted laughter over and over again.

Tuesday afternoon and all day Wednesday this week found me and my co-worker giving back to back 1 1/2 hour workshops. They went very well and that was very encouraging but I could barely think or talk straight by end of day Wednesday, making up some new words when the real words weren't coming to me.

Thursday morning I had my cardiology appointment. The doctor was very nice and, as a result of my appointment, I am now scheduled for another series of appointments on April 1st. The day starts with fasting bloodwork, the morning also includes an echocardiogram. After that I am to have a light lunch, then a treadmill stress test followed up with another appointment with the doctor.

Yesterday I was able to work from home in the morning. Nice to have a chance to catch up a little. I took the opportunity for a two hour nap late afternoon then got ready to go and meet my support group ladies for an evening of bowling and visiting. Wonderful to see them all again, what an incredible bond we all developed over the three months of Friday mornings we spent together. There was laughter and tears during those sessions - both very healing. I surprised myself by having the highest bowling score for both games, maybe the chemo or radiation or combination played a factor, something did - I have never been a good bowler in the past. Good being a relative term.

After bowling we went out for tea, we all had lots more visiting we wanted to get in. So glad I had the afternoon nap, by nine I was tired and slightly nauseated again, a sign that I needed to call it a day - but what a lovely day it was!

Rod and I have been finding out what it is like to be empty nesters this weekend. Kenny is off to Montana so we have had the house to ourselves. We have a trip booked to Mexico in May so I bit the bullet and went shopping for swimwear this morning. I was able to find two suits that work - one is a tankini style and the other regular bathing suit. I was also talked into a very cute black, lacy cover up which should help where the years and surgeries have taken their toll. All in all, I thought I did well - no screaming or crying in the dressing room and I even allowed myself lunch once I got home ;). Another nap this afternoon was followed by a lovely supper out with Rod. He has very generous customers who provide him with all sorts of perks - today's were gift cards that covered our meal. We are blessed!

Tomorrow we are having our Paisley fix for the week - Caleb, Leisha and Charlie are also allowed to come over ;) Following that the week ahead will fly by once again.

Take care, everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment