Sunday, October 5, 2014

Being Heard

One of my frustrations with dealing with physicians and care providers with limited time in their schedules is wondering if I have been truly 'heard'. As a care provider myself it has been a good lesson for me - I need to listen to understand - not listen to respond. 
When I went to see my GP regarding my ankle/foot on September 22nd I had a preconceived idea of how my appointment would go. In my mind, I was getting through the weeks leading to the appointment and then I thought the appointment was going to effect a change. 
That is not what transpired. When I mentioned to
my GP that the injury was Workman's Compensation as it had occurred at the work site she became flustered and needed to go get help to get to the right screen on the computer to enter her report. When patients are allotted 10 or 15 minute time slots taking 5 of those minutes to get the right computer field up cuts into that precious time in a big way. Once she was set up properly there was
little time to review what had really happened with the injury and the radiology reports. As soon as she heard about the first rollover of the ankle outwards she said she knew exactly what happened and told me she could tell me what my symptoms were. What she did not/would not hear at that point was the other part of the injury or what had transpired since, the amount of time since the injury or the
amount of physio I had already had. She
immediately jumped to more physio, suggesting that my physio had been incomplete. I tried to make my arguments but I did not feel heard. 
I left the appointment quite discouraged, with another physio prescription in my hand. 
I did make a physio appointment but it took a week
to get in.
What a difference! There, I felt very heard and the physio was surprised and concerned that I was still having problems. She listened and then did her examination. When I gave her the prescription for the physio the GP wanted she said 'this is not right'! She validated what I had already researched on my
own as to what could be the reason I am still having 
trouble - I thanked her for listening and for hearing me. 
As I mentioned, it was a good lesson for me as I go about my daily life. 
That brings me to a song that I have found to be a real blessing the past few months, I listen to it
regularly as I begin my day. The other thing I am
learning more and more to do is to give each day to the Lord and ask That I would minister Him to all I come in contact with - through every word and every action. It helps me to take the focus off of myself no matter what the day ahead holds. I hope that it might bless those that are reading also.


http://youtu.be/TObr52tHgZ0

I will make this day my prayer by David Kaufman


Here are the words - 

I Will Make This Day My Prayer

I will make this day my prayer

I will give you everything that I am and do today
I will give you all my cares, all my joys and 

sufferings
I will make this day my prayer

And when I work may my work usher in your reign
And as I go may I go with you
And when I speak may my lips sing your praise again


May my words be light and truth
And when I see my friends may they see you in me
And may I see your face in them
And may our conversation lead us to the freedom
That your presence beckons in

And when I ask forgiveness may my heart be true
And may I offer forgiveness too
And when we reconcile may we be one in you
May forgiveness make our hearts new

Take care, everyone 

No comments:

Post a Comment