Tuesday, January 29, 2013

An anniversary

January 29th is the anniversary date of my brother's death and it is never an easy day for me, no matter how far removed in time the date becomes. The weather today is also very cold, it snowed overnight and there is a forecast of snow again over the next 24 hours.
I knew that I would not want to venture out so I planned accordingly yesterday and tried to get as many of my errands as possible out of the way.
I have been gentle with myself today, spending the time reading, watching a little TV, remembering, praying and being quiet. While there is underlying sadness I am also feeling at peace, a similar peace to the peace that was very tangible to me throughout the days immediately following my brother's death in 1979, when I needed it to be able to do and get through all that was necessary at that time.

There is a passage in 'Jesus Calling' by Sarah Young from November 26th that I have read over today and tried to remember to put into practise as the day has progressed -

'...you must remember that you reside in a fallen world, where blessings and sorrow intermingle freely. A constant focus on adversity defeats many Christians. They walk through a day that is brimming with beauty and brightness, seeing only the grayness of their thoughts. Neglecting the practice of giving thanks has darkened their minds. How precious are My children who remember to thank Me at all times. They can walk through the darkest days with Joy in their hearts because they know that the Light of My Presence is still shining on them. Rejoice in this day that I have made, for I am your steadfast Companion.'

I will be thankful, He is my steadfast Companion and my identity is in Him.

Take care, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment