Saturday, January 12, 2013

Strength

A while back closer to when I began this blog I added a quote that another lady on the breast cancer forum uses in her signature - You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have. Another of the lovely ladies from the forum posted a video for us today that was quite enjoyable, the theme was strength and it was made by a woman going through chemotherapy. I have added it below.

I find these are the days when it is a little harder to continue to be strong. The journey has been a long one already and the end of it is still not quite in sight. The adrenalin that gets you through the initial phases of surgery and chemo has long worn off by this time, the weather is cold and the hours of daylight are short. I reminded myself just the other day that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Overall, I am doing well. My impatience wants me to feel completely better yesterday and be able to go back to my old pace of doing things right away and most of all, I want my hair back ;). That just isn't happening and I am learning to be gentle with myself and adapt to a new pace and rhythm to my days. Like my hair will gradually return (I hope) so too my return to health and energy will be gradual.

Some inspiration  -

Be faithful in the small things, for it is in them that your strength lies - Mother Theresa

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face ...we must do that which we think we cannot. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are like tea bags, we don't know our true strength until we are in hot water - Eleanor Roosevelt

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts - Eleanor Roosevelt

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Patience and time do more than strength and passion - Jean de la Fontaine

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer - Albert Camus

Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that's what makes you strong - Sarah Dessen

Courage isn't having the strength to go on - it is going on when you don't have strength.” -  Napoleon Bonaparte 


You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”  - Marcus Aurelius


Be strong. Live honorably and with dignity. When you don't think you can, hold on.” - James Frey


Here is the link to the YouTube video - 
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?sns=em&v=BaQdwTsVtCY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBaQdwTsVtCY%26sns%3Dem

...and yes, the nurses and the patients in the chemo area really are that great!

Take care, everyone

















1 comment:

  1. My journey seemed more like a race with hurdles; down time, another hurdle, down time and so on. When I look in the mirror each morning and see my thin hair on top, then I am reminded that of my journey and how I have made it almost 10 years in March in remmission and how I can rejoice and give thanks.

    ReplyDelete