Monday, January 7, 2013

MUGA Scan and more

It was a quiet weekend, I think that in addition to the possible Herceptin side effects I'm fighting a respiratory virus. I did accomplish a fair amount on Saturday morning in regards to housework and walking on the treadmill but I could not sustain that energy level through the afternoon or evening. We did end up going out late evening to the children's hospital to be with some good friends. Rod and I have known Barry and Bev since before we were married, they have two daughters Rhonda and Deanna. It was through Deanna that my son Justin met his wife Leah (you can see why Deanna has a special place in my heart). Deanna and her husband Scot have two little girls, the oldest, Kelty is about 2 1/2 and the sweetest little girl you ever saw. My grandson Keiran and Kelty are good friends. Kelty became ill last week with croup symptoms. On Friday she was airlifted to Calgary due to the severity of her condition. Mom and Dad weren't allowed to travel with her so they ended up coming separately in two cars, Barry and Scot drove together and Bev and Deanna came together with baby Roslyn.
It is in times like these that social media is at it's best. Deanna and her sister Rhonda posted about what was happening and a welcoming 'party' was quickly arranged so Kelty would not be alone upon her arrival. Her trip and her parents trips as well as her health were covered in prayers. All in the space of minutes via Facebook.
Kelty did pretty good Friday evening and most of Saturday but early evening she ended up having a respiratory arrest and being admitted to ICU. Leah let us know what was going on so Rod and I went over to see if we could be of any help. What we found were an amazingly courageous little girl, two amazingly strong parents, one fairly oblivious baby girl and two slightly frazzled grandparents :).
We visited a little with the grandparents while Kelty was having a nebulizer and then went in and prayed with Kelty and her parents. The most pressing need we could pinpoint was that Roslyn needed some formula and it was late therefore we would need a 24 hour pharmacy. Who knew there were so many varieties of formula? Rod and I read every package thoroughly and tried to determine which would be gentlest to little Roslyn's tummy. I was conflicted as to which to buy and quickly prayed for guidance. Just after that prayer, Rod picked up one brand and said he was getting that one, good enough of an answer for me. We purchased it, safely delivered it and then drove home. I hope it did turn out to be something that Roslyn tolerated.
Sunday's biggest accomplishment was walking on the treadmill and a chicken dinner for supper, exciting eh? We did hear good news regarding Kelty, she graduated out of ICU and seems to be doing much better.
This a.m. found me in a radiology clinic waiting for my MUGA scan. The waiting area for this procedure is separate from the main waiting area. On my arrival I shared it with a couple, the woman was also having a MUGA. I kept looking at her hair. I think she is a little further along than me in treatment and had the cutest dark brown curls, very attractive on her. I can only hope mine might do similar, although all signs are pointing to me being predominantly white when my hair grows out.
Her husband and I companionably shared the  waiting room while she had her scan, we both had our electronic devices and our coffee to keep us occupied for the half hour she was in the room. You can almost tell the 'professional patients and partners' at this point in the process. Just previous to her scan I had my IV injection to prepare my blood to accept the radioactive tracer.
I spent about the same amount of time in my scan, ten minutes of pictures on the left with ECG and five minutes on the right with time prior for positioning and drawing the blood, adding the tracer and then reinjecting it into me. The results should be available for my oncologist in about two days, I have an appointment to see her next Monday. My baseline MUGA was in August. The results of this one will be compared against it, if all is well I will continue with Herceptin for three more months before I am scanned again. If they are concerned, I will be referred to a cardiologist and may need meds and a 'herceptin holiday'.
In the meantime I will glow in the dark.
Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment