Monday, January 14, 2013

Keep Smiling

When I first told my manager of my diagnosis last June he encouraged me to 'keep smiling'. He has done this several times since that time, today when I emailed him I added 'still smiling'.

I did not particularly feel like smiling this a.m. when I woke up to yet more snow, we have had more than our share of late. It wouldn't have been so bad but I had an appointment with the oncologist at 0815 which meant an early start to the day, no lying in bed drinking coffee with my freshly warmed magic bags tucked in around me (yes, I know I've been spoiled). I did drag myself out of bed and made it to my appointment on time.

These are the things that have made me smile today -
  • My heated car seat - I know I've mentioned it before but it felt particularly wonderful this a.m.
  • Finding a good parking spot a short walk to the Cancer Centre
  • Having one of the unit clerks I used to work with in Emergency check me in at the Outpatient Clinic at the Cancer Centre
  • Hearing my oncologist tell me that I had done amazing with my chemo (it's also OK to be amazing some of the time ;)
  • Being told my MUGA scan was good, which means my heart is doing well through the treatments so far
  • Being told I am quite anemic and need rest and relaxation - normally not a reason to smile but it means I'm not a wimp :), I was beginning to doubt myself. She thinks it will take about three months for my hemoglobin to return to a normal value, better than heart problems any day
  • Being told that some of the extra weight and the muscle aches in my thighs are due to the Taxotere and will resolve soon; once again, I was beginning to doubt myself
  • Having the timing work out after my appointment for me to go to the bank and then get to Costco right as it opened
  • Looking at my email before leaving the bank and finding out the performance appraisals are no longer due on Friday at noon sharp - there is a new form this year and it hasn't been sent out yet
  • Finding frozen pomegranate seeds at Costco - can't wait to use in salads, smoothies, with yogurt and in oatmeal
  • Finding an interesting new organic breakfast cereal made with chia seeds, buckwheat, sliced almonds and dried cranberries - apparently also good in smoothies, with yogurt, and hot or cold with milk or milk alternative
  • Being called 'Hon' by the lady behind me in the line who wanted to get by me to get to another checkout but needed to wait until I could move up - her comment was 'that's alright hon, I'm not in a hurry, don't you worry'
  • Being called 'miss' by the man packing my purchases, I've been feeling very old lately, that made my day
  • Being told to take care and have a wonderful day by the person checking my cart as I left
  • Picking up Kenny from his English exam and being told that he took his time and felt like he did well
  • Getting home to a warm house and my magic bags ;)
  • Edited to add one more reason to smile today - my friend Liz emailed to say that her first grandchild arrived safely this a.m., supposedly a little late but I bet he thinks he was right on time!

A couple of quotes that were on Facebook today -
  • It's hard to beat a person who never gives up - Babe Ruth
  • On the Compassionate Beauty page - When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile

Take care everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment