Friday, October 11, 2013

Mom - Part 3

When Caleb and I reached Unit 64 with Mom and the porter, we were taken into a very large private room at the end of the unit, away from all the noise and busyness. The charge nurse came up to me as two other nurses settled Mom in and, just as the hospitalist had done, assured me that they would give Mom the best compassionate care and not to hesitate to ask for anything we needed. There was a chair that could be pulled out into a cot as well as two other chairs and a stool. I pulled one chair and the stool over by Mom's bed and settled in beside her, holding her hand. I had my iPad with me and I have a playlist of songs that I have used many times over the last year and a half for strength and comfort. As one of the songs began to play, Faith to be Strong by Andrew Peterson, Caleb seemed to especially like it and asked who the artist was. It is actually a group called that name, not sure why they only chose one member's name but they have several songs that I enjoy listening to. We sat there together with Mom, listening to the music, surrounded by God's presence and a wonderful peace.

As the evening wore on Dan and Ev stopped by. Dan read Psalm 91 to my mother and then prayed, they hugged Caleb and I and then left. Shortly after, I suggested to Caleb that I was fine and that he could also go. He asked if I needed anything and we arranged for a couple of blankets and pillows for me, then he left. The nurse that was caring for Mom was excellent, she treated her as if she was her own family member and also treated me with great kindness. One of the nurses that came in with her during the night to help care for Mom commented that she was enjoying my music.

Mom was being suctioned and turned about every two hours but it seemed that by about 2:30 a.m. she was requiring suctioning more often. Some labwork was drawn about 3:00 a.m. About 3:40 I was debating whether to wait until the nurses were due to come in at 4 or whether I should ask them to come and suction then. As I was debating this, Mom just didn't take the next breath. My hand was on her pulse which also stopped right at that moment; her passing was that easy and peaceful. I asked the Lord to take her hand as I let go of it, then I called the nurse. Two of them came in and they verified that Mom had passed. They were very considerate and told me to take all the time I wanted with Mom and when I was ready that I could come out to the desk.

When I was finished saying goodbye I went to the desk, called the funeral home, thanked the nurses and then made my way to the parking lot and drove home. Once home at about 6 a.m. I sent some texts, emails and facebook messages before crawling into bed to rest.

I'll end this post with an excerpt from Jesus Calling: A 365 Day Journaling Devotional - October 11th -

...Though I have brought many pleasures into your life, not one of them is essential. Receive My blessings with open hands. Enjoy My good gifts, but do not cling to them. Turn your attention to the Giver of all good things, and rest in the knowledge that you are complete in Me. The one thing you absolutely need is the one thing you can never lose: My presence with you.

There is that word 'rest' once again. Those times where I learned to rest and to trust, especially in the last year, were a good foundation for that day and the days that have followed. While I missed Mom and also was missing having Rod there beside me to help me through everything, I was very aware of God's presence and His peace surrounding me.

Take care, everyone.

1 comment: