Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Week of Smiles

Last week I mentioned that Rod had misplaced something and was looking for it in the morning before work. I will elaborate on the story here as well as add a few other things that made me smile this week.

What Rod had misplaced was a little brown envelope that had money in it. It had been given to him for attending a focus group the night before and he knew he had brought it into the house when he came home. I told him I would look for it during the day and he said he would try to retrace his steps in his mind and let me know if he thought of anything. It was also garbage and recycle day so he took care of that before he left. As he was driving to work, he said to himself 'Laura would pray about it'. So he did. He had a strong urge to go back and get the garbage bag he had thrown out. In spite of the fact that it would make him late he came back and got the garbage bag, put it in his truck and took it to work with him.

As the morning progressed he texted me and asked me to check various places. Nothing. I actually went out and brought the recycle bin back into the yard just in case it might have ended up in it and I looked in the garbage bin but there was no garbage in it so I thought the garbage truck must have come already.

At the end of his work day Rod remembered the garbage bag in his truck and decided to go through it before he came home. That's where it had fallen into. When he got home he came through the door with a slightly soggy envelope in his hand, the money intact, and a smile on his face.

The next day we received a large colorful envelope from Lilly, Keiran and Forrest containing homemade Valentines. Lots of effort went into the creation of the Valentine's - Lilly's was blowing a kiss when it was opened (very creative), Keiran's had two hands connected with accordion folded paper and said 'I love you this much' and Forrest's had a footprint to prove he loved us to the tips of his toes. Lilly and Keiran had also sent a fill in the blank 'How do I love thee, let me count the ways' worksheet where their answers to various questions like 'what is your favorite number' were placed in the blanks and made for some funny reading. Both Grandpa and I have been wearing big smiles since receiving this envelope.

Today I smiled after talking to my insurance agent and being told that they were waiving my deductible as the accident yesterday was not my fault. They will also supply a rental car while mine is being repaired. I also smiled as I picked up the final Kitchenaid food processor and accessory pack at Direct Buy. Long story short is that they were a great deal on Direct Buy in early November. I ordered three sets as Christmas gifts - one for each couple - Justin and Leah, Jordan and Celia and Caleb and Leisha. By Christmas we had two food processors and one accessory pack. After much communication and some frustration the order is now finally complete and Caleb and Leisha will receive theirs tomorrow, in time for Valentine's, slightly late for Christmas.

The last smile for today was when I went to take my Mom her laundry, visit and pick up her new laundry. As I walked into her room I noticed that there were now two walkers. The two wheeled 'clothes rack' and another four wheeled one I hadn't seen before. It seems that she had this four wheeled walker at my brother's place, he innocently brought it out to her at her request, unaware of any drama involved. I've got to hand it to her - she outwitted me :)

Take care everyone.


1 comment:

  1. Smiles are good medicine. How often do we lose things in garbage bags! It is like a magnet for valuables.

    ReplyDelete