Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Looking back and ahead

Today marks eight months since I received the diagnosis of breast cancer. I had no idea as I walked into the breast health clinic that day just how much receiving that diagnosis was going to change my life in the months to come. I'm glad I didn't, this is definitely an experience best taken one day at a time - 'strength sufficient for the day'.
I am very much aware of where I have been in my journey when I wake up every morning  - from my cold, getting slightly less bald head to the weird numbness of my right chest and back of my right arm  to the raised area just under my right clavicle where my port is to the aching joints that make me feel like I'm 100 when first trying to get moving, continuing right on down to the tips of my toes, one of which is missing a toenail as of this a.m., a delayed side effect of the chemo.
Tomorrow marks another milestone in my progress as I start my first of sixteen radiation treatments. Following my BEAUTY exercise class this a.m. I went shopping for glaxal base cream, aloe vera and some loose cotton camisoles and sports bras in preparation. I plan on being an A student for Shannon, she would expect no less from me.
I do not want to look too much farther ahead at the moment but there will be more scans, more appointments, the continued Herceptin infusions every three weeks, the eventual removal of the port following the completion of the infusions and the possibility of reconstruction surgery when/if  I can wrap my head around it.
In spite of all of this, normal is starting to insert itself back into my life more and more every day as the months progress.  I am contemplating returning to work in less than six weeks time, hard to believe!
As I walked through the stores today I was reminded that spring is coming as evidenced by all the Easter displays, the spring clothes on prominent display, the tired looking winter clothes languishing on the clearance racks and the gardening items making their appearances in the seasonal aisles.
Seasons do come and go, life goes on and moves forward.
I am not the same person I was on June 20th, 2012 - I hope I am a stronger, wiser person today. I am very much more aware of how blessed I am. I have not had to walk this journey alone.
God is good.
A friend shared this on Facebook today and I would like to close with it -



  Take care everyone.





2 comments:

  1. Been a long old haul. But you will get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are still in our prayers, whether you hear from me or not;)
    I think of/pray for you often. God is doing a special work in you.
    With love,
    Elinor

    ReplyDelete