Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Forrest Turns One

I said I would post about Forrest's birthday yesterday - I was wrong. After my radiation treatment, the radiation class, lunch, tea with Norman and then my Breast Cancer Supportive Care Foundation appointment I was out of the house from just after 8 a.m. until about 5 p.m. A bit too much of a day for me and I definitely became a vegetable for the remainder of the evening.

We ended up not going to Cranbrook until early Saturday a.m.; Friday was another day similar to yesterday and I needed Friday evening to get some wash done and a few other things around the house done. I was very pleased earlier in the week when I asked Kenny if he was going with us to Cranbrook and his response was 'Of course, it's Forrest's first birthday!'.

The trip out was great, we were treated to spectacular scenery and for the most part we had good road conditions. We decided that we would stop and see my Mom on the way out and then visit with Rod's Mom on the way home. I was delighted to see later on Saturday evening when I checked Facebook that my 'sister' Ev brought both of our Mom's together for the afternoon.


Photo: Today I went for lunch with Mom Baxter, then took her to see Aunt Ivy Down.  We had a wonderful visit!When we arrived at Justin and Leah's it was about an hour before the party; the kids were having quiet time or naps depending on their age. Leah was just finishing up decorating the cupcakes. We tried to be as quiet as we could but it wasn't long before Forrest was awake and wanting the party to begin. Justin and Leah hadn't told the kids we were coming so it was a surprise for them to see us. After both boys were awake, I took Forrest downstairs to go get Lilly from her room. She had been reading on her bed. Forrest thought that bouncing on it was a much more desirable activity. I had to be quick a couple of times to make sure he didn't bounce right over the edge.

The birthday party was a great success. It was very laid back and informal. With the number and age of children and parents attending it was the best way to go. Forrest really got into his presents as well as his cake -

Some other pictures from the party -





Other highlights of the weekend for me were -
- seeing Kelty who had been so sick just after Christmas running and playing with all the other kids, looking very healthy now
- visiting with Kelty's Mom and Dad and sister, Aunt and Uncle and cousins, Grandpa and Grandma and Great Grandma at church the next day as well as seeing Byron and Hazel from Vancouver, a pleasant surprise for us
- visiting with Leah's brother Orion, her mom Kass and her Dad and his wife Emiko at the party
- reading to and with Lilly at bedtime on Saturday evening
- having Keiran ask if I would sit beside him at breakfast and having Lilly want me beside her also; this dilemma was solved by sitting between them at the end of the table
- watching Kenny being an uncle throughout the weekend but especially during church; Justin had left that morning for a trip to Arizona with a group of students from the school Leah teaches at. It was nice to see Kenny stepping in and helping out with the kids.
- as we were sitting eating lunch on Sunday telling Keiran I really loved him and him answering 'I know that!' in a very matter of fact manner, then following up on that statement with 'I am really going to miss you'

The trip back was just as good, Rod and I talked most of the way while Kenny watched a movie or slept. Our favorite part of the trip is the drive along highway 22X from Lundbreck through to Black Diamond. We stopped in Black Diamond and surprised Rod's Mom with a visit, once again I was pleased with Kenny who we had left sleeping in the car. When he woke up he came in and gave Grandma a big hug before we left.

From there I felt like my energy level suddenly plummeted to empty from being 'not too bad'. By the time we got to the house Rod, being the good mechanic that he is, observed that I was at empty and suggested I go into the house and have a bath and he would bring all of our things in. He received no arguments from me.

Take care everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment