Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Plans

I mentioned that I had appointments for most of the day on Monday. When I meet for tea with Norman I usually try to bring something for us to eat while we are talking and then something that he can take home for supper with his boys with treat included. We had been in Cranbrook for the weekend so I was not as prepared as normal but had some soup I had made that I took out of the freezer, then I needed something to go with it. When I left the hospital I drove across the road to a shopping area. There was bakery there that looked like it was good so I popped in to see what they had to offer. Some wonderful berry and white chocolate scones caught my eye as well as a nice rustic looking country loaf of bread to go with the soup.

When I arrived at Norman's office he had the same idea. He had found a new bakery that had some pretty decadent offerings - he had bought a few different items including a salted chocolate brownie and chocolate croissants. The bakery uses Bernard Callebaut chocolate and I couldn't resist having a slice of the brownie. It was wonderful! The sea salt was the perfect counterpoint to the chocolatey sweetness. We discussed the young adult's workshop that we do for our Autism association, time passed quickly and I had to rush next door to get to my other appointment at the Breast Cancer Supportive Care Foundation (BCSCF) on time, but not without a chocolate croissant handed to me for later. :)

Earlier in the day I had received an email from work stating that they had received a 'back to work' plan from my insurance company. My return to work date is April 1st but it will be part time, very gradually increasing to full time hours the week of May 26th. That was a bit of a surprise to me, I thought I would be back to full time sooner than that. The physician at  BCSCF asked me about my return to work as we talked. I told her about the plan that is in place and she seemed a little shocked. I thought it was because it would be two months before I returned to full time hours. Turned out not the case. She says her patients don't go back to work until at least three months after they finish active treatment and I would be two weeks post radiation when I return. She also said her patients take three and a half months before they are back to full hours of work. I think the plan that is in place for me will work; she is skeptical.

I like what I read yesterday in the Jesus Calling devotional by Sarah Young, it helped set my mind at rest -

'I am leading you, step by step, through your life . Hold My hand in trusting dependence, letting Me guide you ...
....I will show you the next step forward, and the one after that, and the one after that. Relax and enjoy the journey in My Presence, trusting Me to open up the way before you as you go.'

Yesterday while waiting for my radiation treatment Patsy came down to chat with me. We are both looking forward to getting together with several of our 'old' (have to be careful with that word ;) Day Surgery co-workers on Friday for lunch. I also told her about Forrest's birthday party and a young mom of four in the waiting area said it sounded like her house on any given day. We included her in our conversation, Patsy was asking me when I was planning on returning to work so I began to tell her about Monday. The young mom told us she worked at home making jewelry. I was called in right about then and when I came out she handed me her card. I checked out her website last evening and have included a link to it in with my other links - she is quite talented, she also has a blog along with her site.

Today I had a quick visit with Mom prior to going to my appointments for radiation treatment and review with Patsy and the radiation oncologist. I guess the visit could have been a little longer, I found out after waiting in the waiting area for 45 minutes that my radiation time had been changed from 1230 to 230 but they hadn't updated my schedule or me with this information. They quickly treated me before the review appointment with many apologies.

Tomorrow will be another busy day with radiation early, then some errand running followed by the Return to Work course in the afternoon. In the evening Rod and I will be going to a play about C.S. Lewis with some friends. I am looking forward to that. Then Friday will be another 'lunch with the ladies'.

Take care everyone.




2 comments:

  1. Speaking of CS Lewis, Have you seen "Shadowlands"? There are two versions. The Hollywood one starring Antony Hopkins and Debra winger. The BBC version stars Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom. Watching both is a good idea, though the BBC one is/was hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one man play was excellent, he had me completely believing that he was C. S. Lewis. Rod and I saw the movie Shadowlands with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger when it came out but the play has now made me want to see it again. I wasn't aware of the BBC version but I will try to find it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete