Friday, April 5, 2013

Aging a year in a week

This week was my 'birthday week'. I had never heard that term until my friend Jacqui decided that she wanted more than a birth day and decided to celebrate a birthday week. The concept quickly caught on with many of the people I know ... and why not ;).

On Monday evening Rod and I drove out to Crowsnest Pass to exchange trucks with Justin. I was honored to hear that, since I was going, Justin was going to bring Keiran with him. The drive out was incredible. Rod and I had spent the better part of the last two weeks apart so we took the time to catch up on what each other had been doing, but mostly on what we had been thinking and talking to others about. It was still light as we set out and we were treated to a wonderful display as the sun slowly set over the snow capped mountains. Breathtaking! When we drove into the Tim Horton's parking lot we spied Justin's truck waiting there already. What joy to see the ear to ear grin on Keiran's little face when he saw us drive up! He was wearing a ball cap, just like Dad, and it appeared that he was thoroughly enjoying being 'big boy' enough to have made the trip with him. When we got out of the trucks he was talking and laughing at the same time and as we entered the coffee shop he couldn't wait to demonstrate how well (and high) he could now jump. This was followed by a demonstration of how well he could twirl around. After that he needed the milk Justin had bought for him and he made short work of it. Once done he wanted to remove his sweatshirt so he could show us the T-shirt that the Easter Bunny had brought him. Much better for his teeth than chocolate, smart Easter Bunny ;)

The trip back was in the dark and I found it harder than the trip there fatigue-wise but I did enjoy the conversation we had and I would not have missed making the trip with Rod for anything. It was nice to know that, if needed, I could take the next day to recover. And it was needed. I have no words to describe the bone deep fatigue that I felt on Tuesday. I did make a trip to the hospital to see my Mom but found that after half an hour I needed to leave. She did remember that it was my birthday, she didn't get the location where I was born correct but she definitely had the day right.

I had so many birthday wishes sent via Facebook, texts and emails as well as phone calls that I am feeling well thought of and loved, a very good way to feel :). A highlight was the birthday serenade first thing in the morning from a sweet little choir in Cranbrook - they have great potential. I also received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my mother-in-law. Wonderful day!

Wednesday was an early morning with a two hour appointment with a nurse practitioner at the Breast Cancer Supportive Care Foundation. She is a nurse that I worked with for many years in both DaySurgery  and the Pre-Admission Clinic. Her role then was as the surgical oncology nurse and she was very good at it - and still is. She told me I was the last person that she would have thought she would be seeing as a patient there. I had filled out a questionnaire and as we talked and I caught her up on my life she started leafing through it to see my various answers. She stopped me at one point and told me that she saw that I was still the 'master of understatement'. I wasn't quite sure what she meant. She  observed that I had marked my stress level as a 6 on a 0 - 10 scale. I said yes. She then stated that with everything that had been going on in my life she felt it might be more accurately represented as a 10+. Hmmm. We reviewed diet, exercise, relationships, leisure activites, social support and physical effects of chemo, radiation and Tamoxifen (short and long term) and then she gave me a program to follow customized to what we had discussed. A very beneficial two hour session! I will meet with her again in 3 and then 6 months for follow-up sessions.

After that appointment I had tea with Norman. A real treat, and not just because of the baked goods he brought to share. He had been very observant at our last meeting and this time he had two generous pieces of the decadent salted brownies ready for me to take home. So much for the diet recommendations from the previous appointment but, after all, it is my birthday week ;).

Yesterday, I made a good start on the de cluttering process. I gathered up all the income tax receipts and T4's etc. for Rod, myself and my mother and got them all organized. I also managed to shred enough old papers to fill a big black garbage bag which made me feel very productive - doesn't take much these days. In addition I managed to get in a few loads of wash as well as a treadmill session.

We were sad to hear of the passing of 'Grandpa York' yesterday - an incredible man of God who has been a part of our lives for as long as I can remember. A gentle giant of a man, not just in physical stature but also in all things spiritual. He leaves a great legacy. Rod and I were sitting reminiscing about him together last evening. Rod turned to me and said, "I wonder if Grandma York is serving Grandpa ice cream yet?" I sure hope so.

This a.m. Rod and I met my breast cancer buddy from Saskatchewan and her husband for breakfast. I'm wondering what the waitress was thinking with the two of us at the table sporting our spring hairstyles - more head than hair still for both of us. It was great to see them and to share common experiences. I loved that she just laughed when I could not come up with the words I wanted several times in the conversation. She gets it.

I went out to the lodge to get my Mom some more of her things following our breakfast. I smiled once again when I saw that she is back to using bowls and cups to hold her various pieces of jewelry, old habits die hard. When I arrived at the hospital with her suitcase of things she brightened up and announced to the nurse that she was going home today. It was difficult to tell her that this was not the case. She was eating her lunch and she is tiring of being there. She told me that she was upset - two nurses had told her they would bring her sugar for her applesauce and she was still waiting. I looked at an open package of sugar on her tray and asked her about it. She told me it had been for her coffee. At the same moment of realization we looked at each other, I said 'you don't take sugar in your coffee' and we laughed together.

Tomorrow we will truly celebrate the birthdays that were neglected the last few weeks. Roast beef and gravy, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, and cake. OK, we'll throw some veggies and salad in too!

Take care, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment