Thursday, April 11, 2013

This is the Day

The last few weeks have been tough going for me energy-wise.

I know that time will make the difference. Currently, I need to allow for twice the amount of rest for every period of activity; my best times to get anything done are mornings and evenings are basically a write off, with an early bedtime of about 8 p.m.

As I've written in previous posts I have learned to add rests to my day.  I like the way the Breast Cancer Supportive Care Foundation (BCSCF) words it - Plan, Prioritize and Pace in order to manage your energy.

This a.m. as I was waking up I was praying and giving the day to the Lord. I found today's reading in Jesus Calling to be very appropriate once again then as the day progressed, I will add some comments as I quote from today's reading -

This is the day that I have made. Rejoice and be glad in it. Begin the day with open hands of faith, ready to receive all that I am pouring into this brief portion of your life. 

I like the picture the words portray of the open hands and I like that this portion of  life was referred to as brief, it helps with perspective.
    
Be careful not to complain about anything, even the weather, since I am the author of your circumstances. 

Well, if I hadn't read that I may have been tempted today to complain about the weather, it is the middle of April and for most of the day we were in the midst of yet another snowstorm. My hairlength is a definite plus in this kind of weather though, it matters not whether the wind is blowing or if it is wet out, my 'style' remains unchanged ;).


I started the day by making up chili for the crockpot  while catching up with Evelyn via Facebook messaging, followed by an hour of rest. My plan for today included a trip to the library, a few errands at the mall where the library is located, a visit with Mom and then a trip into work to collect a letter and sign some papers. I planned to follow this activity with a rest and then a treadmill session.This seemed like a do-able day and I managed to get it all in with the exception of the treadmill, I may still try to get that in this evening - or not ;).

The last few days I haven't been all that happy with my appearance, to the point that I would rather not have gone into work. With the exception of having a wonderful lunch with Wenda yesterday I haven't seen most of my co-workers for a while and I would have preferred going in looking and feeling better. I decided, as my co-worker Robin often reminds me, that 'it is what it is' and it could be worse, then put away my pride. I'm glad I did. I got lots of wonderful hugs and everyone lied through their teeth, even going so far as to comment on my 'sexy' look. They're good! ;).

The best way to handle unwanted situations is to thank Me for them. This act of faith frees you from resentment and frees Me to work My ways into the situation, so that good emerges from it.

To find Joy in this day, you must live within its boundaries. I knew what I was doing when I divided time into twenty-four hour segments. I understand human frailty, and I know that you can bear the weight of only one day at a time. Do not worry about tomorrow or get stuck in the past. There is abundant Life in My Presence today.

When I arrived home, I had two phone calls from the unit that Mom is on. I was tired and maybe that was good as it probably came through in my voice and in the conversation. I didn't want to get bogged down in what was past in how her situation has been handled but I did want them to understand what my concerns about future plans for her were. Long story short is that they will not be sending her back to the lodge tomorrow morning as they had been considering, they will assess her better this time and make sure that the lodge is able to provide the care that she requires. If the lodge cannot provide this level of care, they will start the process to find a place that will so that hopefully she can get in and get settled and not have this back and forth all the time.

I am relieved and rejoicing in this day.

Take care everyone.






1 comment: