Thursday, April 18, 2013

Let's Try This Again!

On Tuesday evening about 9 p.m. I had a phone call from my Mom's nursing unit telling me that she was discharged and asking how soon could I be there in the morning to pick her up. When I asked about the arrangements with the lodge the nurse had no idea, she just reiterated that the doctor had said that my Mom could be discharged the next day. I asked if she would have the nurse clinician call me in the morning and then I was able to do something that I haven't had the most success at doing in the past. I put it aside. I told the Lord that it was in His hands and that I wasn't going to worry about it as there was nothing I could do overnight anyway.

In the morning about 8 a.m. the nurse clinician called me. She was surprised at the discharge order herself (I think my Mom had a lot to do with influencing the doctor in that regard). She told me that she would speak to the lodge and to the transition services person and that I could come in and help Mom get packed up in the meantime. I am getting most efficient at packing my mother's things by this point and it didn't take long to have everything in the car. The nurse clinician explained that the lodge was going to increase the amount of care received by my mom and that they had the med orders and discharge summary, all was set. With that mom was released to my care.

It was a beautiful sunny drive out to Okotoks. Mom hadn't been outside for just over a month and seemed to enjoy looking at nature, remarking on the mountains and the birds as we drove.

Once at the lodge we got her inside and settled back into her room. The aides were very good with her, realizing that she was quite anxious. We met with the new manager and I was very impressed. She is having posters made for mom's wall to help remind her to call the nurses if she wants to move about, she is not to walk or transfer yet unassisted. She is also going to provide a hospital bed for her. After the last time when a hospital bed was provided and then charged for without our knowledge of a fee, Mom and I both asked how much the bed would cost. The answer was absolutely nothing, it was definitely indicated. The manager is also arranging for a non-slip mat for the floor beside the bed to help give traction for when Mom does stand and transfer or walk and has suggested that she consider wearing hip protectors, we'll see what she thinks about that one ;).

I was able to talk to the manager alone and she was aware that Mom had isolated herself to her room for the most part. She will arrange for volunteers to go and talk with her one on one, she feels that once those relationships are established, when there are activities and the volunteers invite her to them she will be more likely to go.

The last strategy is that they have a walking program and they will put Mom into it. She will have someone walk with her with the two wheel walker on a daily basis and if she progresses well, she may be allowed to use the four wheel walker, after an OT assessment.

How is that for an answer to prayer? And I didn't even lose any sleep. ;) God is good!

Take care, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! It takes practice to be able to let go for the night, especially after a lifetime of holding onto anxieties. I honestly think that having the 'time limit' on it is what makes it achievable.

    Best of luck to your mother. It isn't easy at all :(

    ReplyDelete