Monday, June 10, 2013

Celebrating

It has once again been a very busy past few days.

My mother in law's 87th birthday was on Friday. My sister in law decided it would be a great idea to surprise her on Saturday, June 8th. It has been very hard to surprise her in the past but we were all game and so the planning began.

Friday was my lunch with Liz. It was another two hour lunch where we caught up on everything, we were able to sit out on the patio at the restaurant, their patio was set up beautifully for being outside with cabana like enclosures around the tables to block the sun and/or wind as needed. The featured salad was a Prawn Quinoa combination which we both chose and enjoyed thoroughly. Nice way to start the weekend.

I had a lot of errands to run after lunch and had made a list during the morning as I was working around the house. I told Liz that anyone following me around or listening to my thoughts that morning would wonder about me and ADHD. I would start a task, think of something else I needed to do and get distracted by that and so on, all the time adding things I needed to pick up to the list in my head as I worked.

Saturday a.m. Leah facebook messaged me that they had decided that they were all coming to the surprise party so I set to making up beds. Caleb and Leisha came over to our house to drive out to the party with us and brought Charlie with them. Just as we drove up to my brother in law's house, Jordan and Celia drove up also so our family was all present and accounted for. We were able to truly surprise Mom B, it was wonderful to celebrate her and wonderful to have so many able to come. The weather cooperated beautifully the whole afternoon.
Grandma B and Keiran blowing out candles


That evening after supper and getting grandkids to bed etc. I still had to make up a poster board about Kenny for church on Sunday. We celebrated the six new graduates with a special service and lunch. Justin and Leah stayed for that before driving home Sunday afternoon.

All of this activity was good for me as it kept my mind off of other things. June 8th was my one year anniversary of my mammogram/ultrasound/biopsy that started all of this for me. I was booked for a mammogram this a.m. at the same time as last year's mammogram, so much was similar to last year including the weather. Robin was supporting in the background with texts and emails and I read this entry from 'Jesus Calling' prior to going in, which was also very helpful -

Rest in Me, My child. Give your mind a break from planning and trying to anticipate what will happen. Pray continually, asking My Spirit to take charge of the details of this day. Remember that you are on a journey with Me. When you try to peer into the future and plan for every possibility, you ignore your constant Companion who sustains you moment by moment. As you gaze anxiously into the distance, you don't even feel the strong grip of My hand holding yours. How foolish you are, My child! 
Remembrance of Me is a daily discipline. Never lose sight of My Presence with you. This will keep you resting in Me all day, every day.

I was called in for the mammogram, she even managed to some of the mastectomy side for pictures. After the first pictures she told me to go back to my cubicle but that she wanted the radiologist to see the pictures so not to change. Very similar to last year's experience. As I waited, others came and went, a few were taken over to ultrasound. The tech came back and told me she needed more pictures and took me to a different room with a slightly different machine set up with the smaller plate for increased magnification. I tried to stay calm and 'rest'. She told me there were micro-calcifications on the left side. I was told I may also need an ultrasound. After that set of pictures I was once again told to go back to my cubicle and wait, but not to change. I read as more ladies came and went. After being there two hours, the radiologist had compared this years pictures of the left side to last year's and the message the tech came back to me with was - You are free to go. Have a wonderful day and we will see you next year!

What a relief. I couldn't help comparing it to last year and wondering how different this year might have been if that was the message I had been given last year.

When I got home I did a bit of gardening, Wade and Gayle came over with coffee and then went to Costco with us for groceries, once home it was quickly time for me to head to my radiation oncologist appointment.
She was pleased with how my skin is healing and we talked a bit about the 'new normal' stuff. She reassured me that it is my job to report symptoms and the oncologist's job to decide what needed to be done once reported. She is submitting a referral to a plastic surgeon to discuss reconstruction. She said it is typical to wait 6 - 8 months for that appointment and then, if reconstruction is decided upon, to wait another 6 - 8 months for the surgery. My next appointment with her was also booked for a year from now.

So, things are moving along in this 'new normal'. I feel like big progress was made today.

Take care, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment