Sunday, June 16, 2013

My Favorite Fathers

Today is Father's Day. This day has gotten easier for me as time has passed but the initial ones just after my own father died when I was fourteen were difficult ones for me and I am always cognizant of others who have lost loved ones when special days such as this come around.

My Dad was the best Dad ever! To see the love in his eyes when he looked at me was my world. I remember watching an Oprah Winfrey interview with Maya Angelou where they were discussing Maya's book 'The Bluest Eye' and Maya made a statement to the effect that 'every child deserved to see their parent's eyes light up with love when they walked into the room'. I knew that with my father. He may not have been there physically for the milestones in my life after that age but in many ways I am who I am today because of who he was, his love for me and what he taught me.

My father used to leave early in the morning for his work but if I happened to get up early enough I would always find him kneeling beside the rocking chair in our living room, praying for us and others. This might make you think that he was a serious man - yes, he was serious about his relationship with God - but he was one of the happiest and friendliest people I ever knew (very much like the man I was lucky enough to marry). Every Sunday morning and evening were Mom's meals off, Dad did the cooking. He would sing while he cooked, which brings more fond memories along with the pictures in my mind of stacks of hot buttered toast or pancakes and the special milkshakes he  made for those suppers that we would enjoy on our TV trays as we watched 'Walt Disney'.

I was fortunate to have other men give me guidance in my life as fathers after he passed. As mentioned I have been/am very blessed to marry a man that shares so many of my favorite characteristics and qualities of my father. It has been an incredible journey watching him grow into his own role as father - first to our own four boys and then extending that role to many others and also into the role of grandfather.

It is a real joy to now be able to watch our own boys as they begin their own fatherhood or grow toward fatherhood through being great uncles first, taking that unconditional love their father extended to them and demonstrating it in turn to others. I am so proud of them and so privileged to have the opportunity to watch them go through these stages in their lives.

A special memory that will always stand out in my mind is the second time Justin and Leah brought Lilly to our home to see us. Rod was so excited. The minute she walked through the front door Rod was down on one knee with his arms extended out to her and without hesitation she ran right into them. There could be no doubt in her mind of her welcome.

Another favorite father that I think deserves a special mention today is one that has commented many times on my blog as 'The Blog Fodder'. He has been like a big brother to Rod and I this year. I know he has experienced first hand supporting his own wife through cancer while being a father to his children and he was one of the first to reach out to Rod last summer and then to me. He has been there in the background encouraging, rejoicing and supporting - whatever the situation required. Even though he lives far away I see how much he loves and supports his own children and many others like us. He has a very compassionate heart indeed, a father's heart.

Rod enjoyed his Father's Day breakfast in bed this a.m. and that is where I find myself now, having taken his 'father's day nap' for him. I'd do anything for that man ;). Time to get up and go tell him I love him.

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment