Friday, June 22, 2012

Bone scan day

So far, everything continues to seem somewhat surreal for me, like I might wake up and find out it was all a dream.
I went for my bone scan today, they gave me a small IV injection at 10:30 a.m. and then sent me away, asking me to return at 1 p.m. for the scan. The machine looked a little intimidating and claustrophobia inducing so I was happy to go away for a bit.
I had a lovely lunch with my good friend and co-worker, Robin; she told me the meal was on her as 'it came with the bone scan'. Wonder if they could get better compliance if they offered that deal to everyone?
Another co-worker Lisa, who lost her own mother to breast cancer, sent along a lovely bracelet that she wears that has a metal charm of the pink ribbon breast cancer logo and a heart as part of the clasp. I put it on right away and they allowed me to keep it on during the bone scan.Very helpful.
The scan took about half an hour, I kept my eyes closed as the machine travelled down my body at very close proximity, this really helped with the claustrophobic feeling. The tech came out of her area a couple of times and did something and a couple of times the machine made a chirping noise. I have no idea what that meant, hopefully nothing.
Once done, the tech told me my physician would have the results by Tuesday, unless he needed them today. I told her that no, I thought Tuesday would be fine, the results were just needed pre-op.
Afterwards, I went shopping, looking for loose, comfortable outfits with front openings for post-op recovery period as suggested by the nurse at the Breast Health Clinic. Not much out there or I just wasn't into shopping; maybe some of both?
Next up in regards to testing is the CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis on Tuesday, June 26th; then surgery is confirmed for Friday, June 29th.  

No comments:

Post a Comment