Sunday, June 17, 2012

Waiting for results


I waited all week to hear from the clinic regarding my results and each time my phone rang I would think ‘this is it’ only to be disappointed. By Thursday, June 14th,  a friend at work who I had shared my experience with suggested that no news was good news but asked me to promise that I would phone the clinic on Friday a.m. and ask them  if they had my results so I didn’t need to go through another  weekend worrying needlessly.
I called Friday a.m. and left another message on the nurse line, this time asking if they had received my results. At 10 a.m. a nurse called me and identified herself as Anna. She said that they had my mammogram/ultrasound/biopsy results but they still did not have the full pathology results. She said that Linda, the nurse who had been with me during my initial visit had tried to move up my appointment with the surgeon when the biopsy results had come in but that my appointment was on the first day that the surgeon was back in the clinic. She also said that it was not the clinic policy to give out results over the phone but that they would review everything with me at the appointment. This did not sound good – they don’t try to move appointments up to give good results, in my experience.
Meanwhile, my right arm and breast would hurt and I would wonder whether it was just as a result of the biopsies or if it was something more ominous causing the pain.
One thing that I did find curious during the week and a bit until I got my results was that I was finding beauty and joy in things that I might normally take for granted. I was laughing more spontaneously than is normal for me, enjoying the moment during this reprieve I had until I ‘knew’ for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment