Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Getting prepared

Before I get started, one housekeeping item. Some people have asked how to comment on a post. There is a 'No' (or however many comments there are i.e. 1) comments in red text at the bottom of each post, if you click on it a comments box will open for you.
On to my post for today.
I am trying to stick to my normal routine as much as possible which means that I have continued to get up at 0530 on weekday mornings, have breakfasted and be showered, dressed and ready to take on the day by 0715 or so. Is it a challenge already? Oh yes! It is very tempting to pull the covers over my head and stay in bed for a while longer.
Since getting up this morning,  I have had a fairly productive day but I have realized that there is probably way more to do than there is time to do it in, which is a little frustrating for me. I guess I will prioritize what is essential, I will let some things go and I will delegate others.
That is something I really struggle with. I am not someone who finds it easy to ask for help or to allow myself to be vulnerable and accept offers of help. I am used to being the helper as opposed to the helpee (is that a word?). I am a little challenged when it comes to things around the house, they are not my forte so when people ask me what they can do and offer to help clean, I cringe a little. My pride gets in the way and I think that I could never let anyone come in and look below the surface in order to clean but maybe I will have to do this.
To facilitate that I have a few confessions to make -

1) I often forget I washed a load of clothes and they stay in the washing machine too long and then I end up having to wash them all over again.
2) The clothes that do make it to the dryer are often left in there too long and then are all wrinkled when I go to remove them.
3) My floors do not get washed as often as they should but if I take my glasses off when I am around the house they look OK to me for a little bit longer.
4) The baseboards that are present (some have not been added yet following the constant state of renovation the house is in) will probably be dusty.
5) It is not always dusky outside when looking from inside my house, my windows just need to be washed.
6) I am a little afraid to enter my 17 year olds room so I often just close the door and hope for the best.
7) Taking off my glasses works for procrastinating on  many other cleaning tasks in addition to washing floors.
8) When I went to clean the oven today, I tried three times to push the right buttons in the right order before I had to consult the manual, that might be a clue as to how long it's been since the last cleaning.
9) While I love beautiful yards/plants/flowers - I have so far been much better at growing weeds than anything else
.
Now,  if I do need people to help out and I accept their offers or they agree to my request they will not be able to say that they haven't been forewarned.

Still on a housecleaning note, one of the best purchases I have made recently was due to great advice once again from my co-facilitator friend for the Autism workshops. She has a wonderful article on Tumblr on efficient housecleaning and she talks about her Roomba in it. Motivated by her article, I decided to indulge myself a couple of months ago and bought an iRobot programmable vacuum cleaner from Costco when there was a special. I love it! I feel like I have a friend cleaning along with me when I am at home and 'he' (Robbie is what we call him) is vacuuming. On other days that I have been working I come home and he is back at his base, but the work he has done is apparent. I have a feeling 'Robby' will prove to be well worth the expense during my treatment period.

Now to the topic foremost on my mind. Today was my preop assessment visit and shopping in addition to working off the tasks on my list. Preop assessment was pretty easy, the nurse seemed a little surprised I was having surgery so soon but she walked me through what I needed to know and do and asked the questions that she needed to. My blood tests and scans have all been done, no further tests were requested today.

Tomorrow, I phone the hospital between 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. to get my arrival time and OR time for Friday morning. It is still feeling quite surreal; I am going through all the motions, doing all that I am required to do but my mind hasn't really absorbed it all yet. I'm sure Friday will be a big dose of reality for me.

Shopping was productive. I bought several tops (and one was purchased for me) that will be very useful after the surgery and should help to cheer me up if/when I get down. Most are probably not what I would have tried on had I shopped alone and the bonus was that I had the opportunity for a lovely visit with my 'sister'. Now, back to work.


3 comments:

  1. You've exposed more 'housekeeping' secrets than you perhaps realize. My reality is that there usually many more 'important' things needing my attention.
    Hard as it may be to ask for help, your sisters would love to bless you by giving a helping hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I forgot to sign, love and many hugs and prayers. Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are alot of us out there that use the 'remove glasses' trick to have a cleaner house. ;-) What is most important is the love within the house, no amount of dust will hide that.
    My prayers are with you. Let me know when you are back would love to met up just for a walk or a chat or to be a quiet friend on a hectic day.

    ReplyDelete