Sunday, June 24, 2012

War and Peace

I'm not quite sure what an appropriate title for this post should be so I'll leave it blank for now and once I start writing maybe I will be inspired.
It has been an exhausting weekend for me in a way but also a very lovely weekend.
I co-facilitate a workshop for Young Adults with High Functioning Autism or Asperger's Syndrome at our local Autism association and I absolutely love doing this, I have gained so much, probably far more than I have contributed. This Saturday was the last workshop session in our series for the spring and the topic was dating and relationships. My husband and I were scheduled as the presenters for this session and I wanted to fulfill my commitment in spite of all that is going on otherwise in my life.
One of the ladies I co-facilitate the workshops with gave me wonderful, practical advice when I shared with her a couple of weeks ago about my concerns re: biopsies. She suggested that rather than ignore the fear that I should look at it and 'mind-map' the 'what if's' and make lists of things to investigate and do. This was so helpful, it put some of the waiting time into productive activity. I had a list ready of all the people I needed to tell if the diagnosis was cancer and the order in which I wanted to tell them. I decided to designate different people from various areas of my life to help communicate information for me and I am very happy with how this has worked. I created this blog so that I had something I or they could direct people to for updates. I made a list of things I needed to investigate such as short and long term disability, personal directives, what I need to bring to the hospital and what I should consider for when I return home from surgery. I joined an on-line support forum and have discovered wonderful ladies there who were waiting for test results like me or already diagnosed and wanting to provide comfort and support to others.
Later yesterday afternoon we went out for coffee. During our coffee date we shared my diagnosis with our special friends who went through a similar experience themselves a year or so ago. We laughed, cried, hugged and came away refreshed and reassured.
Today, we told our local church family of the diagnosis. We were thoroughly supported and upheld in prayer. My daughter-in-law also shared with me on Facebook today that my very soon to be six year old grand-daughter has decided to pray for me every time she uses something that I gave her; I am told I am very well prayed for by her alone - maybe I have been too indulgent as a grandmother but it's working in my favor now!
My son, Caleb took us out for lunch after church. I noticed that with his charming, good looking presence at our table we were well attended to, with several pretty young ladies appearing at various times during the meal, making it hard to determine for sure who our real server was. 
Tomorrow morning I need to finish up some work and look into the short term disability. I will also contact the Nurse Navigator from the Breast Health Clinic. Following that I need to attend to some very neglected gardening and housework items and do some grocery shopping - everyday type things that still need to get done.
As I look this over, I think I will title it "War and Peace" in honor of my manager who feels that I tend to write novels, even while trying to be brief and to the point. :)

1 comment:

  1. Laura, we love you and we are there for you, whatever you need. I'm serious, you know you can count on us. We can do shopping, gardening, house cleaning, and make meals. You need to do what you have to do on this new phase of your journey.

    I think it is great you have started this blog and thank you, so we can be more up to date with what is happening with you and you don't have to explain yourself over and over to people each time you see us. : )

    We have already prayed for you since we have been home today and will continue to uphold you every step of the way.

    Lots of love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete