Tuesday, June 26, 2012

CT Scan

The highlights of yesterday were attending a demo by one of our vendors in the afternoon and getting to see some of my team members, manager and the vendor.
I also received many loving messages and offers of support; I am being well 'thought of' and prayed for and it is appreciated.
Today was the CT scan, I thought it interesting that it has been raining a lot lately and in order to accommodate the CT it was arranged in a nearby town where there was a flood watch on for today.
I had to hydrate well before I arrived at 0815; when I got there I was then asked to drink another 750 ml of Telebrix, a substance that looks like water and tastes mildly like iodine. At first I wondered if I was going to be able to get one cup down every 15 minutes but the old plugging the nose trick worked. I felt quite proud of myself as I returned the bottle to the Diagnostic Imaging department. They told me it would probably make me feel cold and they were not kidding. I was shaking and gladly took the warm blanket they provided.
My husband accompanied me so we waited companionably in the hallway in two recliner chairs, me listening to music using earphones and him surfing the net and Facebooking.
About 1020 a.m. the tech called me from the hallway and I was asked to change. Once again I was allowed to keep my 'special bracelet' on for the procedure.
I have decided that I will use my influence in my position (very little) and make a list of all the things that need to be changed in the various clinical areas that I visit - patient gowns is one of the first things on the list, there's got to be a better design and the color I got today was a washed out yellow that did nothing to enhance my already pale face!
I was nervous about the injection of the radio-opague dye, a potential allergic reaction always in the back of my mind. They had also told me that when they injected it I would feel a hot feeling from the inside out, like  a hot flash but that it would pass quickly. I wasn't quite sure how bad it would be.
Once positioned and IV started, they injected the dye and started the CT. My initial reaction when the warm sensation from the dye went through me was a little like Crocodile Dundee when he said; 'That's not a knife". That warm sensation was nothing compared to a real intense hot flash. Piece of cake!
Once I got home, I ate a huge lunch to make up for not being allowed breakfast followed by a short nap in the afternoon. Then I got to work - I told one of my co-workers that my 'new boss' is a real slave driver.
Seriously, I have a list of things I need to do prior to surgery and I am checking things off as I go along; I am so thankful that I have been allowed this time off work prior to surgery to accomplish some of these things; it really helps to keep me occupied but not in a stressful 'beat the clock' kind of way.
Tomorrow is my pre-op assessment visit and then in the afternoon I am meeting a friend I have adopted as a 'sister' who is taking pity on me in regards to shopping; she tells me she has already scouted out some potential clothing items that will work for me. What a blessing - I am definitely an on-line shopping type of girl and there is no time for that at the moment.
Another silver lining in all of this - I will get to read! A friend from work sent an Amazon gift card to me today and there were several book suggestions given that looked wonderful. I ordered them up and they are now waiting for me on my Kindle. I will save them for the day of surgery and then also as something to look forward to postop.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, interesting test and stuff you had to drink/do! Glad Rod could be with you.

    Mmmmm...books on Kindle. Sounds like a good plan! What kind of books do you like to read?

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete