Thursday, March 28, 2013

Careful What You Wish For

I had a little busier day today, my voice is gradually returning for which I am thankful. My first stop today was to the hospital to see Mom. She is in a four bed room with three other ladies and she seems to be enjoying having the company. I found her in good spirits, sitting in a recliner chair. I didn't get too close yet due to my cold but she happily showed me cards and books and presents she had received. We reviewed her mail and a few other things. While I was at the hospital a woman said to me 'I wish I had your hair'. That stopped me in my tracks for a moment. I managed to say 'No, you don't' to which she responded 'Oh, but I do, it suits you so well'. This led to the title of this post ;). I didn't say it, but I did think it.

My final 'return to work' class was this afternoon, it was a beautiful sunny day and several times I was distracted by the sun as it glistened off the river that was within walking distance. It was a good course and it gave me much to think about, not the least of which is how fortunate I am to have the employment situation that I do, complete with incredible co-workers.

Following my course, I made my way over to the cancer center for my Herceptin infusion. I had time for a bit of a break first so I grabbed an apple and some cheese and sat in another beautifully sunny location to eat them and just rest for a few minutes.

When I did go to the chemo area I ran across yet another person from my past, this time an old classmate. I had not known she worked in the area and we spent some time catching up on each other's lives. She is the nurse for two oncologists and enjoys working for them. She has two sons who are 20 and 24, both living at home and in post-secondary and doing well. At the end of our conversation came the awkward moment where she said she was so happy she ran into me and then corrected herself, saying she wasn't happy to see me there ... I understood. In a way, I wish there was no need for her job.

The actual Herceptin infusions seem to be getting easier. My port has continued to work beautifully even if I find it's presence just under my collarbone a little irritating and uncomfortable, especially since radiation. I am getting used to having the infusions over 30 minutes followed by a quick flush. Today there was a lovely older lady there just finishing up her last chemo. She was so happy, she rang the bell with great enthusiasm and then wished us all well with our continued treatments, telling us we would all be done in 'no time'. I may miss being part of moments like that when I am finally all done.

Now my body is wishing I was putting it to bed so I will indulge it.

Take care everyone.






No comments:

Post a Comment