Sunday, March 10, 2013

Security

My daughter-in-law Leah recently posted this exchange on Facebook, it really pulled at my heartstrings -

Keiran:  Mom, when I have my next birthday, how old will I turn?
Me:  Three.
Keiran:  Well, then I will be getting old and you will need a new Keiran.
Me:  Where will I get a new Keiran?
Keiran:  Maybe at the store. (Looking concerned and tearing up). Maybe you could keep me...I won't really be that old...Could you please keep me, Mom?

I can just imagine that somewhere he heard about needing to replace something that was getting old with a new one and his interpretation seemed quite logical to an almost three year old that is a deep thinker - if things that get old need to be replaced, then possibly so do people that get old.

I hope you are not getting too tired of my references to Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. Today's reading reminded me of Keiran's needing his Mom's reassurance in order to feel secure (and irreplaceable no matter how 'ancient' he gets ;) -

You are Mine for all time - and beyond time, into eternity. No power can deny you your inheritance in heaven. I want you to realize how utterly secure you are! Even if you falter as you journey through life, I will never let go of your hand. 

Knowing that your future is absolutely assured can free you to live abundantly today. I have prepared this day for you with the most tender concern and attention to detail. Instead of approaching the day as a blank page that you need to fill up, try living it in a responsive mode:  being on the lookout for all that I am doing. This sounds easy, but it requires a deep level of trust, based on the knowledge that My way is perfect.

Today was a good one. I took it easy in the morning after not much sleep during the night (Herceptin side effects). Kenny is in hockey playoffs right now so I spent the better part of the afternoon in a hockey arena - they won :). I was cold and achy after being in the arena so came home and cuddled with my quilts. Wade came over and visited for a bit with Rod and I, we had a great talk, very inspiring - very glad he came over even if he neglected to bring Gayle with him this time (and made a comment asking when I was going to dye my grey hair!).

Tomorrow it's back to radiation, the start of the last week. I'm the first appointment of the day in my area and we changed to daylight savings time last night so I'd better call it an early night tonight if I want to be 'radiant' in the morning. Such an exciting life I lead ;).

Take care, everyone.




1 comment:

  1. Keiran reminds me of a kid who growing up on the farm was familiar with the ways of kittens. When his mother came home with twins, he asked his dad "Which one are you going to drown?"

    ReplyDelete