Friday, May 24, 2013

New Normal?

Today was my appointment with the oncologist.
She had the bone scan and abdominal ultrasound results for me. The bone scan was compared to the one I had done prior to my surgery last June and it showed that there were moderate degenerative changes, especially in the L5-S1 region, since that scan and chemo/tamoxifen/Herceptin. Nothing that looked 'sinister' - in her words but she said she was going to order an MRI due to the amount of discomfort I have been having.
I ended up getting a Doppler ultrasound on the side. I have some swelling on my neck above my clavicle and there was a lump in my axilla that she wanted to look at. She was worried that the swelling on the neck was due to a clot in my port. I didn't like what she told me the treatment for that would be - full anti-coagulation and port removal. Post ultrasound they don't know what is causing the lump or the swelling - I am very relieved that the Doppler showed no clot.
So, that's my story ;). I feel a little bit like I can't trust my body and what it is telling me anymore. It may take a while to re-establish that trust. I didn't even notice the lump or swelling which were my oncologist's major concerns. The areas that were my main concerns may turn out to be more of my 'new normal'.
As I drove home I decided that I will need to really work on the yoga type stretches and I also decided that I should start treating myself to some good back massages. Keiran thinks it would be nice to go swimming with Grandma Laura soon which is also not a bad idea. I can handle that kind of treatment ;).

Take care everyone. 

1 comment:

  1. You are really getting hit in all directions. Nothing is ever simple, is it?

    ReplyDelete