Friday, May 17, 2013

'Them Bones'

Yesterday was bone scan day. This procedure was at the same facility that my abdominal ultrasound was at yesterday. The receptionist recognized me and instead of reviewing all my information with me she asked if anything had changed since the day before. I assured her I had not moved residence overnight. Not with this back ;)

The nuclear medicine tech also recognized me so we caught up on the antics of her twins as she injected me with the radioactive substance used to assist with the bone scan. Them she gave me a pass to go home for two hours where I puttered around the house, enjoying the sunshine and also catching up on the new growth in my garden (wish most of it wasn't weeds ;)

When I returned I was placed on the table with the scanner over my head, if I'd tried to raise my head even slightly I would have hit it. It slowly moved over my body for about twenty minutes, head to toe. Then my position was changed to arms overhead supported by a cushion and she did a SPECT scan. This part was new to me.

From my research SPECT stands for single-photon emission computerized tomography. That really helped me to understand  - not! Apparently it is being used more frequently and what it does is provide a 3D image, once the pictures are compiled by a computer. It helps to analyze conditions that may be especially deep in the bone or in places that my be difficult to see with the 2-D images.  My SPECT was specifically done for lower back and rib cage. After positioning me and the camera, I lay there as it rotated very slowly around my body for about another 20 minutes. It is important to stay very still while the scans are being done in order to get good pictures. At the end of my scan, the tech came out and said she was able to get 'great' pictures. The bone scan and SPECT pictures will be reviewed by the radiologist and the results will go to my oncologist. Due to the fact that this is a long weekend, she will get the results around Tuesday. 
In the meantime I am going to do my best to put it all aside and enjoy my weekend. This afternoon I'll go out to see my mother and take her some clean clothes and coffee. This evening we pick up Kenny's suit for grad and will need to find the perfect tie for him to match his date's dress. I'm thinking he is going to be one handsome looking guy but I do know that, when it comes to my boys, I am slightly biased.
I am also looking forward to more puttering around the garden, getting Rod to do all the heavy stuff. Sounds like a great way to spend to weekend to me.

Take care everyone.

2 comments: