Monday, November 5, 2012

Arts and Crafts

Well, it's come down to this, I spent this afternoon making a vase that makes my children's elementary school offerings look like masterpieces in comparison.

I look around sometimes at the various places that I find myself during any given week and think - 'So, this is now my life'. It can still seem so surreal. 

Back in the summer when I had more energy and wondered what I would do with my time while I was off work I signed up for a ceramics course at Wellsprings, which is a house that was built on donated land. The house is a meeting place for any and all people in the city who have received a cancer diagnosis and offers many groups and classes as well as just a nice retreat to go to during the week.

I arrived a little early as I had never been there before and wanted to give myself time for getting lost. I didn't get lost but I did get detoured by road construction so it was good I gave myself time. The house is a spacious two story with a finished lower level as well. As I entered the house a receptionist greeted me and offered to give me a tour before my class. It was very warm and inviting with some offices, a kitchen and two meeting areas on the main floor, as well as a wonderful looking deck area and nicely landscaped backyard. On the lower level were the fitness and yoga areas. I was told that the floor in the yoga room is heated, nice touch. The second floor has a few more offices, a self-serve lending library and a large crafts room. I will definitely be checking out the lending library next visit.

The ceramics class was very relaxed and the majority of us were of similar abilities so no pressure there. It was quite soothing to work with the cool clay and chat with the other participants. I had worn a scarf pulled back and fastened with an elastic, with the tails draped over my shoulder to simulate hair. Over this I had worn a hat. The ladies seemed impressed by this and wondered where I had learned this 'technique'. One also commented that the earrings were a nice finishing touch - see, what have I been telling people - bald is better with earrings ;). I seemed to be the only one there that was currently in active treatment and a newbie like me could tell by the length of the participants hair how long ago they had most likely completed treatment.

I did manage to finish my vase by the end of class and I am hoping that somehow the firing process will work miracles on it but I won't hold my breath. If that doesn't do the trick, maybe the glazing process will. Eternal optimist - that's me.

Speaking of optimism, the sun has been shining here for two days and it does make such a difference. It is somehow much easier to keep a positive outlook when the sun is allowed to do it's part.

Before my class this morning I was able to get a few loads of laundry done and sort through a few more of my Mom's things as well as making some phone calls and arranging for a change of address to go in at the Post Office for her. Here it is now 8:30 and I am seriously thinking of getting ready for bed and being there by 9:00. I tell myself this isn't too bad because there was a time change, but it really is rather pathetic, isn't it? ;)

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment