Friday, November 9, 2012

Given the 'all clear'

Today was my lab work and medical oncologist visit to see if I was good to go for chemo on Tuesday and by the end of my visit I received the 'all clear'. While my hemoglobin and platelets are a little on the low side, the oncologist was most impressed by my neutrophils which are in the normal range. This means that the Neulasta is definitely doing it's work and that all the associated aches and pains have been worth it.

The weather here is not conducive to being out and about but that is where I found myself yesterday and today due to my appointments. We are under a snowfall warning and have received a fair amount of it in two days and the temperature has been falling.

After my appointments regarding chemo I went to visit my Mom and then went out for a two hour lunch with Robin (for anybody from work that is checking up on us, it could be considered a business lunch as about an hour of it was spent discussing work, honest ;). I was very spoiled on the way over, Robin picked me up right at the doors of the Cancer Center and when I got in her car the seat warmer had been turned on for a bit and so was nice and toasty warm - heaven!

Following lunch I had my radiation oncologist appointment at a different location closer to the downtown area. When the radiation oncologist walked in she was accompanied by a very young looking guy who shook my hand and introduced himself as Jordan, the med student. I told him that my second son's name is Jordan. He asked me how old my Jordan was and seemed surprised when I answered with 27. He said that was about how old he was also. He was quite sweet so I cooperated with his questioning and examination, but it did kind of feel like when my boys were toddlers and they wanted me to pretend to be the patient while they used their doctor kits to treat me. In their cases treating always seemed to require them using the needle in the kit on me, usually more than once. I was spared that today. Thank you, Jordan ;)

There is a part of the pathology report that they are going to have clarified by the pathologist, the radiation oncologist felt there may have been an error in transcription. The information the pathologist provides may change my decision but at this point in time after reviewing everything currently known with them I felt the risks outweighed the benefits. My biggest risk is not a local recurrence, which is what radiation is aimed at preventing, I am at greater risk of distant metastases due to the positive lymph nodes and HER2 receptor positive status. The chemo is aimed at preventing that. It will be a relief if I don't have to undergo radiation on a daily basis in the middle of winter.

It took a bit to get home with the snow and ice covered roads adding to rush hour congestion. Once home I had a message on the answering machine that said my mother would be moved to a lodge in a nearby town on Wednesday. Not good timing for me with chemo on Tuesday. When I called the  number of the lodge that would be receiving her there were several other concerns that were brought to light, including several financial aspects. It is a long weekend here so, with the exception of leaving a few messages on the transition services coordinator's voicemail, my concerns will have to be dealt with on Tuesday.

Just in time to lighten my mood Justin, Leah and family arrived. Great fun, and more on the way in the next couple of days! I had the privilege of putting Keiran to bed. He was quite energetic and seemed to be bouncing off the walls and bed at the beginning but quickly settled after a story and my singing of a few songs to him. Haven't heard a peep from him since but I'm thinking that morning might come very early so I will go indulge in a nice warm bath and crawl into a bed that has been warmed by a heating pad (inspired by Robin's pre-heated carseat). Life is good,

Take care, everyone.







1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the "Nutella" is working. (I can spell Nutella). For the cost of it, it should.

    ReplyDelete