Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Working out the Details

Busy day yesterday!

I drove Kenny to school as a treat for him not to have to take the bus and then proceeded over to the hospital. I spent about one and a half hours going through Mom's things and packing them for her move and while I was in the room several staff members were in and out.

Following my hospital visit with Mom I went to Costco and picked up my groceries as well as a smaller TV for her new room. I was quite tired and once I hit the checkout I guess it showed. One of the 'helpers' worked with me to get my things out of my cart and she smiled and said 'You have had a day already, haven't you?' That meant a lot to me to have that acknowledgement at that moment in time.

At the next aisle I was drawn to another cart making it's way through that checkout. In the front part of the cart, laid out lengthwise was a small girl of about 3 or 4. She was sound asleep and the picture of peace amidst all the noise and chaos that was going on around her. In front of her, standing guard was her older brother, making sure she was not disturbed as she slept, occasionally rubbing her foot. This touched me, it felt like God was speaking to me through it. The clerk at my checkout also seemed to be affected by the scene, commenting on it to me. 

Once home, I completed this week's assignment for my Business Analysis online course that started on Monday and then had a lengthy phone call with my 'Saskatchewan friend' who is also going through her breast cancer/chemo journey with me. Wonderful to share experiences once again, no one knows like someone who has or is going through it.
 
Washroom in Mom's room
There were two times in the last two days where I unabashedly used the 'cancer card' when dealing with my Mom's move. The first time was on Monday when I had arranged with the lodge to book their loading dock for yesterday evening, in order to have some of her things in her room when she got there. There was no trouble booking the loading dock but late Monday afternoon I received a phone call. The person calling told me that since we were moving some of Mom's things into her room the night before they would have to start charging her for the room from that day, rather than Wednesday. I was taken aback by this. I said I was going through chemo currently and unable to move her things myself during the daytime. I told them Rod and Kenny were unavailable to help me Wednesday evening due to Kenny's hockey and that Mom was already being charged for her hospital room daily so, if it meant an extra charge for her, we would just have to wait to move her things until later in the week, probably the weekend. I was put on hold, when the person came back they said not to worry, they wouldn't charge for the room until she came on Wednesday. We moved some of her things out last evening, I've added a few pictures of the lodge, it certainly doesn't look like any care facility I have been in before. Wondering if I can book my room now?
Main Lobby - entrance of lodge
Sitting area just outside of Mom's room
Built in kitchenette area in room with sink, appliances provided



Larger sitting area on Mom's floor with coffee bar
Dining area

















The second time I used the 'cancer card' was last evening about 5:30 when I received a call from the hospital. They told me Mom was being discharged at 0800 today and to be at the hospital by then. I clarified with them that Mom was being transported to the lodge, they agreed but said that EMS wouldn't take her things and I would have to do that. I told them I had been in her room packing things most of the morning and not once did anyone tell me that her things wouldn't be transported with her. I told them I wouldn't be able to make it back that evening and I couldn't guarantee how I would be feeling in the morning due to the after effects of chemo. They said for sure EMS would not be willing to take her walker so I would have to deal with it, this is where I said "That's ridiculous, she can't even maneuver a couple of feet without it, how can they not take it with her?" I guess I sounded emphatic enough, they said they would deal with it from their end. I hear from them that she has her walker with her this morning as she is being transported.

We have freezing rain and weather advisories for snow from 5 - 15 centimeters here today, the roads are not good. I am very thankful to be inside at the moment with no great urgency to be out in it.

Take care, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment