Friday, December 7, 2012

Laughter as the Best Medicine

While I was laying low over the past few days I have been reading. One of the books is "Chicken Soup for the Cancer Survivor's Soul: Healing Stories of Courage and Inspiration".

I have been working on encouraging my online friend who is going through chemo. It has been rough for her. Our minds and what and how we think and staying positive are so important while going through treatment. I wanted to be able to provide her with some tools and inspiration.

I also needed to add some lightness to my day. I am thankful to have received an email from my cousin this afternoon informing me that the hospital was preparing to transfer my Mom today to a hospital that is in a further town than the lodge she was placed in recently. This was all done without consulting or calling me to inform me. Due to my cousin's email I was able to circumvent this from happening. The transition coordinator had only gone by the address on Mom's chart, without looking into whether Mom was actually from the area or not or what her circumstances were. I am so thankful for the email and I think things are straightened out and going in the right direction now, but not without some stress eating on my part. I'll have to watch that ;).

There is a story about Norman Cousins in the book and I will quote some of the things the author said in his story regarding the role of laughter in healing - 

Laughter is essential to our equilibrium, to our well-being, to our aliveness. If we're not well, laughter helps us get well; if we are well, laughter helps us stay that way.

... scientific studies have shown that laughter has a curative effect on the body, the mind and the emotions.

So, if you like laughter, consider it sound medical advice to engage in it as often as you can. If you don't like laughter, then take your medicine - laugh anyway.

Another quote in the book by Josh Billings -

There ain't much fun in medicine but there's a heck of a lot of medicine in fun.

One last quote -

Seven days without laughter makes one weak - Joel Goodman

I think tonight would be a good one for me to watch some videos of my grandchildren and then a seasonal comedy like Elf. Last spring after Forrest was born, I went and stayed with Justin and Leah and family for a week. One of the highlights of the week for me was sitting and watching Elf with Lilly. Sharing her genuine enjoyment and laughter at the movie made it a delight for me to watch also.

I hope your evening will be as much fun as mine promises to be. You are welcome to add popcorn and goodies to your evening - I think I'm over my junk food quota for today.

Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment