Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Taking a Bite Out

One of the sayings I was known for when I worked Day Surgery was - 'how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time.'

I am happy to say that I persevered with my on line course last evening and was able to accomplish quite a bit of reading and I submitted one assignment. One down, three to go! :)

This morning I took Kenny for his appointment with the oral surgeon. It looks like he will need to have his wisdom teeth out, the surgeon seemed very nice. I must really be getting old when the doctors all remind me of my own sons. I felt like I should encourage him as he recited the list of all the possible issues that could occur as a result of the surgery. He didn't forget one ;). Kenny is now booked for the end of January, he may need to refrain from 'taking a bite' for a day or two after the surgery.

Following dropping Kenny at school I went to two stores for my errands of the day and took a bite out of the grocery shopping I needed to do for some baking and just things I don't get at Costco - either because they don't carry the items or their quantities are too large for us to use in time. There is also a Christmas potluck at the Autism association for the Asperger's group on Thursday evening and I needed the items to make my dish for that.

The morning wore me out, it was so good to be back home but it felt so good to have more of my list taken care of. I had a quick lunch and made a couple of phone calls related to my Mom. The orthopedic surgeon has discharged her from his care and she is now under the care of a hospitalist and she moved units today. One more step on the way to rehab. She was looking and feeling quite good yesterday, an amazing woman to have recovered so quickly from the trauma of her injury, it will take a little longer to be mobile again. I also wanted to make sure the pharmacy supplying her medications knew to place a hold on them until she was able to return to the lodge.

I thought I might catch a nap after this but found I was having a little too much discomfort to be able to sleep. After trying for a bit, I went and made a lovely snack of apples, peanut butter and dark chocolate chips (healthy, right? ;) - wonderful to take several bites of), heated up my magic bag and took a Tylenol #3. I take them very seldom, I still have twelve of the fifteen that were prescribed in October but for today one should help take a bite out of the discomfort.

Take care everyone, I hope you are making progress on your elephants :)

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, Laura. I am so encouraged by your courage. God is blessing you with great strength.
    With continued prayer and lots of love,
    Elinor

    ReplyDelete