Monday, October 15, 2012

Be It Ever So Humble ...

View of sun setting over the ocean from our cabin deck
We are home. I have mixed feelings about that, I will miss the people and places of Vancouver Island but it was time to get back home also.

We arrived at the airport last evening about 1030 pm and home about 1130 pm so I am tired today with low energy (or is that procrastination about unpacking coming into play?) ;) Kenny is one smart 17year old. The house was in reasonable shape, letting us know that it was OK to leave him for a week on his own however there were enough things that needed attention that we knew he still needs his parents for a bit longer. The final endearing touch was a big hug from him and a request for steak dinner this evening with the comment added that he was getting tired of making grilled cheese sandwiches. Guess what we're having for supper tonight?

I will tell of different parts of our vacation in separate posts from this but wanted to mention my security encounters coming and going from the Island. On the trip out I thought it would be more comfortable wearing a hat rather than a wig for the plane trip. What I didn't realize was that they would ask me to remove my hat as I went through security, I'm not sure who was more startled - myself on hearing I would have to do this or the security person I removed my hat for.

On the way back, I decided a wig was the way to go. I had packed some of the gifts and food items we bought for family and ourselves in my carry-on. I knew that no more than 100 ml of fluid was allowed but wasn't aware of other food restrictions. So much was happening all at the same time as I went through that I'm sure I looked like a deer in the headlights. There was a fan that was threatening Natalie's position on my head and then there was a beep as I went through security and a security person coming up and telling me that my shoes were really cute but that I'd have to remove them and try again. Then my carry-on was suspect so I had to go to the side and open it with a security person and show it's contents. My medications and supplements were in there, as well as various head coverings and the food items. I explained I was going through chemo. She held up the extra hot horse radish Rod had bought for himself and stated 'this is a one of your required medications'. I corrected her and said that no, it was merely horseradish. Once again she stated 'it's medicinal'. I looked at her like she was crazy and then got it when she firmly stated again 'you need this for medicinal purposes, it is a cleansing agent', winked and closed my case. I quickly agreed that it had definite medicinal and cleansing properties, took my carry-on from her and found Rod.  He enjoyed the story created about his horseradish and we proceeded to our gate with no further issues.

Take care everyone.

2 comments:

  1. You go, girl. Never be afraid to shock the daylights out of people. Keeps 'em humble and reminded that there are all kinds of people in the world. And tell Rod his medicinal horseradish mixed with fresh garlic, chili peppers and beets as a filler, makes a great spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip re: horseradish spread, I might even be tempted to try some of it.

      Delete