Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Two Thirds of the Way Done with Chemo

Today was a long day in the Medical Day Care area but I am now officially two thirds done my chemo and happy to be there. Not sure what tonight and the next few days will bring but so far so good. I won't have a long post but wanted to update people. This new regimen doesn't even give a premed for nausea, the biggest concern they have with these drugs is possible allergic reaction so I had increased steroids and Claritin to help prevent. So far, so good - and no nausea :)

As promised, we did get a good amount of snow overnight. Rod wanted to run into his shop first thing so he could get them set up for the day. I sucked it up and told him I would drive over and pick him up, then placed myself and the day and the driving into the Lord's capable hands and set about getting ready and on my way. We made it to my appointment only 5 minutes late, they were still processing the patients who had been late for their 0830 appointments, so I didn't do too badly. Rod's shop is always busier on days where the weather is bad and I knew that chemo would take longer today so I told him he could go back to the shop and I would text him with updates. He was reluctant but acquiesced ;). He was worried about who would get me water and food should I need it. Turns out I was very well looked after by the volunteers with lovely cups of tea in beautiful china cups and saucers, with cookies and kind smiles on the side.

I really wanted to have something to distract me as they started my first chemo. First they told me all the signs to watch for in regards to potential reaction and gave me a call bell. It's hard for me not to self monitor a little too much when told these things. The Lord provided again. Just as the infusion was starting my friend and former co-worker Patsy arrived to save the day. She distracted me with not one, but two big hugs and talk of family, friends and sunnier climes.

I checked Facebook regularly, sent several emails, read a book and rested through the morning and early afternoon, keeping Rod updated. He showed up about 2:15 just as I was finished and ready to be disconnected. Great timing. Rod seems to know people everywhere we go and today was no different. The man in the bed beside me turned out to be an old customer of his and they started chatting. As a result Rod ended up with some new business coming his way.

Now I'm home and Kenny is once again Mommy-sitting while Rod has returned to close things up at the shop, but not before providing me with water and a nice late lunch/early supper.

Take care everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Keep on counting down and you'll be there before you know it.

    ReplyDelete