Friday, October 5, 2012

Thanksgiving

We are quickly approaching leaving for our trip to the cabin on Vancouver Island. Things seem to be falling into place quite smoothly, making me extra thankful during this Thanksgiving season.

I was able to get out and about early today without too much tiredness and visit my Mom, stop off at Compassionate Beauty where I found two nice hats I will probably live in on our trip and run over to Rod's shop. 

I was a little nervous about my Neulasta shot which I was self-administering and so waited until after I arrived home to take it. First, I took the Claritin which my oncologist was agreeable to me trying. I had read from many of the ladies on my forum that it is helpful in controlling the muscle and bone pain and if this can be avoided, I am all for it, especially with our trip looming. I took the Neulasta out of the fridge and let it sit for 30 minutes while I refreshed myself on subcutaneous injections and assembled my other supplies. As I read the instructions from the pamphlet supplied with the injection I thought it rather casual of them to suggest that if the needle accidentally became contaminated or blood was withdrawn on needle entry that I was to discard the injection and start over with a new one. At over $2700 a shot, I was not going to take any chances.

All went well with the actual injection process and so far, over 6 hours later I am still feeling OK. For that I am very thankful. 

I also just received a phone call from my long term disability insurance caseworker telling me that she reviewed my case with her manager this afternoon and that I am approved. it is so nice to know this prior to my going away and unusual that on a Friday before a long weekend anyone was still working at this time and took the time to call and update me.

We have good friends in Victoria working out a one night stay for us for tomorrow evening. When I realized the flight was evening and not daytime we didn't want to have to find the cabin in the dark, apparently the road to the cabin is quite a twisty one, contributing to nausea for people who aren't taking chemo. On top of a plane trip I wasn't looking forward to testing my stomach that much in one day. Now we will also get in a nice visit with these friends before we tackle buying groceries and then the road, all after a good night's rest.

God is good! Wishing all my Canadian friends and family  a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

Take care, everyone.





3 comments:

  1. If you haven't written about Neulasta in an older blog which I will get to eventually, please tell me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neulasta® (pegfilgrastim)
    Neulasta helps boost white blood cell counts, which are lowered with chemo. A sufficient white blood cell count may reduce risk of infection.
    Absolute neutrophil count should be 2.5–8.0, mine were 0.2 the weekend before second chemo and again the day before my third chemo, they postponed the third chemo for one week and prescribed the Neulasta shots for the next three chemo's. The shots are very expensive - over 2700. for one shot so I needed to get approval from my insurance company, my neutrophil counts persuaded them.
    Severe side effects can be rupture of spleen or severe allergic reaction.
    The most common side effect is aching in the bones and muscles. I had heard the aching could be quite bad but for some reason Claritin seems to be helpful in preventing this pain; the advice is to take it once daily for 7 days, starting with the day of the Neulasta injection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember well the cell counting. Ella had to have blood transfusions to get her counts up one time. This stuff you use must be new? Not cheap either. As long as it works and you don't have teh side effects. Claritin? Who knew.

      Delete