Sunday, August 12, 2012

Back to Reality

I am now back from vacation and, for the most part, unpacked and ready for the week ahead.

I have two loads of laundry done and we decided it would be a good idea to move the Monday Costco trip to today for this week so the fridge is full and cupboards are replenished. I thought I was being so efficient and practical and not letting this chemo stuff get to me until I got to the cash register and realized that the expensive Moroccan Oil shampoo and conditioner that caught my eye would make little difference to the appearance of my hair in about two weeks time. Oh well, it may make me feel better in the meantime ;)

I have so much to be thankful for today -

  • my sons; the two that were with us on our vacation for hugs, cheerfulness in performing all types of tasks and willingness to tolerate their mother's idiosyncrasies
  • and the two sons that stayed home and visited Grandma in the hospital and kept me updated - I am thinking the nurses may have found a few more excuses to visit my mother's room when they were around, my sons are much easier on the eyes than I am
  • my husband, who has done the lion's share of packing and unpacking from our trip - all without even one complaint
  • our 'adopted' son James and his cousin Susie, who kindly brought  our son Kenny back with them today so Kenny could stay an additional day at the lake, even though it added additional time to an already long trip for them
  • Deanna (who we are already indebted to for introducing our family to the wonderful lady who became our daughter-in-law) - when we arrived home there was a 'Scentsy' kit from her on our doorstep, the scents she selected for my 'aromatherapy' are lovely - I have one in the warmer as I write and relax - it is very appropriately called 'Just Breathe' 
  • my daughter-in-law Leah and the grandkids - when we arrived home there was an envelope waiting with more completed crafts - this time the theme was "He loves me!", written on flower petals glued to a center (the message on the envelope was that there are no 'He loves me not' on God's flower petals) and a a heart with the verse 'The Lord watches over all who love Him' Psalm 195:20 - good reminder :) ... and timely, not sure how Leah does that?
  • a good and safe trip home with enough time left to get ready for the week without rushing
  • an abundance of beautiful scenery to feast my eyes on as we drove 
  • hugs and messages from friends letting me know they are thinking of me and praying for me; my friend, Robin even told me that if she could do the chemo for me she would in a heartbeat - I have never had reason to doubt her sanity before today ;)
I'm sure I'm forgetting to write many of the things I have to be thankful for today, I do know that I am blessed. I need to top up my fluids before bedtime (I am supposed to drink lots of fluid the day before, day of and two days after chemo) and I also need to pack a lunch and snacks for Rod and I so I will close today's post.

Take care, everyone.






3 comments:

  1. We thank God for the strength He is giving you through all this. I pray for continued strength and grace for the days ahead.
    Lots of love,
    Elinor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    As always, you inspire! Praying for you today (and everyday!)

    Hugs,
    Wenda

    ReplyDelete