Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hair today, Gone today ;)

Following the night I had, I knew it was definitely time. I was so glad that I had made my hair appointment back in July for today. Yesterday morning when I washed my hair there were large amounts of it sticking to my fingers and this continued as I tried to put styling product on as a finishing touch. During the night last night, I didn't sleep well. My scalp felt very sore, like I had a too tight ponytail that I couldn't do anything about. More hair loss in getting ready this a.m.

I'm glad this happened before I had it buzzed off. It reaffirmed for me that I was doing the right thing in buzzing it and at the right time - before it got too thin and patchy looking. Did that make it easy? No, definitely not!

I had planned to go to my appointment alone however Elizabeth was concerned about me and offered to come and support me through the process. I'm glad she did, her support really helped, even though I didn't let on as the buzz proceeded ;)

Done, Coco also supported and distracted me
When I got to Andrea's, I was greeted by the dogs and I could tell Andrea was nervous. She made me a lovely cup of mojito mint tea and we sat and chatted for a bit before Elizabeth arrived. Once Elizabeth was there, Andrea confessed that she had never done this for any of her clients before. I told her that she really couldn't mess it up and that it would be kept covered from this time forward for the foreseeable future. This seemed to reassure her, but she still started on the back so I couldn't see until the end of the cut. Elizabeth had her hand on my leg and said she was prepared to sing to me, with me and whatever else I needed as Andrea buzzed it off. She also kindly agreed to take pictures for me.

Coco sat on my lap throughout, performing all her best tricks for Elizabeth's benefit. It was a good distraction.

Once done, Andrea washed and conditioned what was left and my head felt wonderful! No more scalp soreness and it felt so cool on such a hot day. 

Relief!

Now it was time for Natalie (the wig) to make her appearance. I was more nervous about this part of it. What if she looked ridiculous? Could I handle people's reactions? No turning back now!

Andrea and Elizabeth helped me put 'Natalie' on and get her positioned just right on my head. Andrea liked it, which meant a lot; Elizabeth had already given her approval when I purchased Natalie.

As I drove home I kept checking for other driver's responses to my appearance and there appeared to be no response, I think that was a good thing in that it meant that I just might be pulling it off.






Once home, I played a little bit and then took two more pictures. Everyone, meet GI Laura and her more public persona, Natalie (Natalie is still a little shy about eye contact ;) -





Take care, everyone


1 comment: