Thursday, August 2, 2012

Super powers

Hi everyone
Today's post won't be very long.
I had my port-a-cath inserted this morning, it is of a specific type called a Power Port, kind of makes me feel like I should have super powers now that it is in. So far nothing, I even tried putting my hand over the area and saying 'Beam me up, Scotty' but nothing happened ;)

As has been my experience so far, the clinicians preparing me for and those performing and assisting with the procedure were excellent. I have another IV injection site to add to the two from yesterday and lab draw from Monday, I keep thinking of our border crossing and hoping no one looks too closely at me.

During the procedure I opted for receiving Fentanyl and Midazolam, I'm glad I did, very helpful. It went quickly, the freezing stung a little going in, they froze a couple of areas, one for the jugular vein access and one for the port site. Once frozen all I felt was pressure and tugging. When everything was in place they did an x-ray to make sure the lung was OK and then they sutured and dressed the sites.

The highlight of my day was my arrival in Day Surgery for the recovery period. I felt like a celebrity! It has been six years since I worked there but the first person I saw was Laurie. The two of us actually started in the area right around the same time, Laurie was in charge today and sent the porter to the only private room on the unit, the negative pressure isolation room, telling me that there was a special room for a special patient.

As we entered the room Rod saw my smile grow big as I looked around. Everywhere I looked there were pink messages for me saying things like 'Welcome home, Laura' and 'Good luck, Laura'. There was even a hand made picture of a bouquet of pink flowers, made by a fellow grandma of three, our friend Christine.  Rod visited with her as I was admitted to the area. Laurie and I also had a chance to chat and she tells me she reads this blog regularly and thinks I should write a book. OK, that could have been an effect of the drugs but it's my story and I am sticking to it :)

This evening I am definitely stiff and sore but feeling very blessed.

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment