Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Comfort Quilt

My sister-in-law Carol came for a visit today. She brought with her a quilt and an apology with it. The quilt is absolutely gorgeous in cream, taupe and accents of a floral with orange, yellow and green. It has alternating squares comprised of friendship sayings and qualities of God, such as God is Comfort'. I am thrilled to now possess this quilt, especially knowing that every stitch of it was made with me in mind. That is why the apology floored me. The apology was that she was sorry that this was all she was able to do for me.

All! I will treasure this quilt. I will focus on the words it bears when I am so nauseated it is all I can do. I will wrap it around me when I need a hug. I will look at it's calm and soothing colors and it will bring me peace, along with a smile. It will definitely be my 'comfort quilt'. I am in awe of Carol's ability to create such a work of art.

Along with the quilt Carol brought more stories of my grandchildren whom she took my mother-in-law to see this week. What grandmother doesn't love to hear stories of their grandchildren, especially when the teller seems to be almost as fond of them as she is? The stories were illustrated with pictures to back them up, from Carol and from my special friend, Ev who first introduced me to Carol and at whose place Carol will spend the next couple of days. A very special visit and very good medicine.

I think that the worst effects of the chemo are wearing off for this round. I know one exception is that my hair will begin it's exit sometime in the next two weeks but each day now I seem to have a little more strength (emphasis on 'little' but progress is progress!). I was able to concoct my Portuguese Bean Soup for the slow-cooker this a.m. and our son Justin was in town for a race he participated in yesterday. He came over for a morning visit and breakfast made by Rod. I didn't fall asleep on him once while we visited and I was able to send a few things home for the family ;)

This afternoon, Rod drove me over to the hospital and I saw my mother. She is looking a little better than she was last Monday and she seemed relieved when I told her that she will not go back to the assisted living lodge, this seemed to be bothering her. Previously on visits she would keep saying that she did not know what they were going to do with her or what she was supposed to do. After I told her today that they were looking for long term care and that she would be in the hospital until they were able to acquire it, she said, 'So I just stay here for now then?' I think she understood what we were telling her and agrees with the decision.

God is good.

Take care, everyone



2 comments:

  1. Would love to see a photo of the new quilt. Give my regards to Rod ... I remember him from my childhood in Wilkie, SK (I was Dale's age) ... and my Dad was the local minister.... Enjoy keeping up with you reading the blog. Rod sounds like he's turned out to be a great husband and helpmeet. Denise (Ramsay) Porter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, it was my priviledge and my pleasure to produce the quilt for you, it still seems like a minor thing that I can do to make things a little easier as you march through this time of testing with such grace and beauty. I love and appreciate you so much and your wonderful sons, their significant others and your beautiful grandchildren who are such a delight. I also appreciate very much that man you married ;)! Take care and hope to visit with you again this week! Love Carol

    ReplyDelete