Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wonderful weekend

The title says it all.

This was a wonderful weekend, thoroughly enjoyed.

Rod's birthday was on Thursday but we celebrated it this weekend. I planned a birthday brunch for him for Saturday morning and spent Friday preparing. I have to say that this cheating business is becoming pretty common-place for me now, scary how easy it becomes once started down that slippery slope ;). This time the cheating consisted of buying rather than making Cinnabon mini-rolls, frozen Belgian waffles and potato salad from Costco and using the frozen unbaked saskatoon and white chocolate scones that I bought from the saskatoon farm on Tuesday. This type of cheating made Saturday morning so much easier for me.

The menu consisted of poached eggs, breakfast sausages, bacon, Belgian waffles with whipped cream, maple and blueberry syrups, icing sugar, three types of chocolate chips and a berry mix available as toppings, mini cinnamon buns, saskatoon and white chocolate scones, potato salad and an omelette station manned by Rod.. To add to this, my 'sister' Gayle contributed tortilla chips and her seven layer dip along with a fruit tray. Beverages were hot chocolate, coffee and grapefruit juice. The grand finale - you guessed it, I cheated once again and supplied a store bought Skor birthday cake. What can I say - in the end it wasn't the food that made the day, it was being together and enjoying good conversation, weather and company.

In the afternoon, Gayle accompanied me to a local hat shop where we met Ev. Ev knows the owner well and she was able to help me find a dressier hat for church and other special occasions that may work on it's own, but I can also wear it with wigs and scarves. We had fun trying on all sorts of different hats and I was persuaded to buy a beautiful cream and lilac antique look scarf/shawl (the persuasion consisted of draping it artfully around my neck and turning me to face the mirror ;). I haven't been able to replicate the draping method at home yet but I'll keep working on it.

Following the hat shopping, I drove Gayle home and then played with my scarves and hats to ensure that I would be prepared come Tuesday. Following that, Rod and I went out for Vietnamese supper, then over to Wade and Gayle's for dessert. There were three desserts to choose from but the piece de resistance was actually the home made bread and blueberry jam that Wade made in the afternoon while we were out gallivanting. Heaven!

Today I squeezed in an afternoon nap before Rod and I went for a nice long walk along the river followed by a visit to my mother. I made red pepper/mushroom/spinach omelettes when we got home. Rod's was first, I wanted him to enjoy it. He didn't seem to want to leave the kitchen while I was making mine, so I scolded him slightly, telling him it was hot. His response - so is my wife. Now do you see why I keep him ;)

Take care, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Was thinking about you today ans was so glad to see that you had a lovely weekend. As you know work can take so much of your time away...I am sorry to say that this is the first chance I have had to return to your blog. I would love to meet for tea, coffee, lunch or what every you are up to please let me know when is good for you....Missing your smile but glad that you are sharing it with friends and family :-)
    Rosita

    ReplyDelete