Friday, August 3, 2012

Chemo Class

I am still sore from the port insertion yesterday and I have probably tried to do a little too much today which has not helped.

I went out this morning to get some hearing aid batteries to take to my mother and fill up my car with gas. Driving wasn't the most comfortable, but do-able.

I also tried to do a few things to help prepare for us to go away but I am limited in my lifting to nothing over 5 lbs. which makes that a little difficult.

At noon, Ev brought Shannon, a favorite 17 year old, over for a visit before my chemo class. Shannon was such a sweetheart, she asked if I was going to chemo class all by myself and when I told her I was she offered to come with me and she really meant it. Later as we were talking, she was very concerned that she didn't want people to see me as the label of 'cancer patient', she wanted them to continue to see Laura, the person. I want this also, in fact I don't want to be seen as a patient as that somehow indicates someone who is sick and I don't feel that fits me, I am someone receiving cancer treatment for a period of time.

I needed that reminder before this afternoon's class.
I guess it should be reassuring that I was the youngest person there but it made me feel like I stood out and the older people there looked on me with pity, something else I want to avoid. There were a lot of questions from the attendees and the class went a little over time, it probably seemed longer to me due to my port discomfort. At the end of the class we were taken for a tour.

Everything for the chemo visits is situated on the ground floor. There is an Outpatient clinic area with a lab close by, this is where I will go the day before my chemo, or in the case of a long weekend the Friday before the Tuesday. Lab work is first, followed by an exam with the oncologist.

On chemo day I am to report to Medical Day Care at the scheduled time, making sure I take the prescribed medications I was given in preparation for receiving the chemo. Chemo is either given in a bed or a reclining chair. There were three areas, A, B and C. I know from the appointment schedule I received in the mail that at least for the first two treatments I will be in a bed in C area.

I don't think I was prepared for how big the area was, I am told they treat about 150 people a day there from Monday to Friday.

Some positives, there were a lot of DVD's available, every bed or chair had a TV, many people were watching the Olympics today and there is Wi-Fi available so I and whoever accompanies me to each treatment will be able to use a laptop or iPad while we are there. That should help distract somewhat.

After the class and tour I went to see my Mom on her unit. I changed her hearing aid batteries for her and I think that helped, she doesn't admit to people that she can't hear but they were starting to wonder about her cognitive functioning. There has been some deterioration, but some of the issue is the hearing. She was receiving a saline infusion for a low sodium level and they also gave her a ventolin inhalation treatment for her lungs.

The doctor came in while I was there and we discussed several things. He is good with us going away for a week and said Mom would be in for another week or two. He has advised that if the C. Diff is not completely eradicated that I should not be around her while I am having chemo, that could pose a bit of a problem :(

More and more, I need this week away to refresh and renew. I may not blog regularly while I am gone, but I will try to post a few times before we return.

Take care, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Have a very refreshing and uplifting time.

    ReplyDelete