Friday, August 24, 2012

Look Good, Feel Better

Today's post will probably be more informational.

Last evening I attended the free two hour Look Good, Feel Better class which is put on by the Canadian Cosmetic, Toiletry and Frangrance Association Foundation for women with cancer.

The website for Canada has been added to the links at the right of my blog posts. I signed up to attend last evening's course about a month ago and apparently spots fill up quickly. I would advise people to attend earlier on in their treatment, preferably before hair loss, in order to get the most out of the class.

Our class had 10 ladies in it, again all ages and ethnicities were represented. There were four volunteers to help us out with makeup application and refreshments and one lady there to present on wigs and scarves.
Even before I got to the room where the class was held I was being welcomed - I'm not so sure that I knew how to take the assistance, the man who is the education coordinator for the Cancer Center approached me and told me that the Look Good, Feel Better class was down the hall. Was it that apparent that -

1) I was a cancer patient? and
2) That I needed the help? ;)

Anyway, once in the room a volunteer assessed me for whether I was light/medium or dark skin tone and then provided me with my own kit of makeup materials, used in the class and to take home afterwards. There was also a sleep cap in the kit for when I lose my hair and want to keep my head cozy at night.

There was a placemat and a mirror and my own sponges, cotton balls and applicators provided at my seat and almost before I sat down, I was also being offered juice, water or coffee to drink.

This was going to be fun!

I was not disappointed and came out of the makeup session with tips on faking eyebrows and eyelashes, covering up chemo related spots, blemishes and under eye circles, sun protection, nail and hand care and proper cleansing and makeup removal.

Next was the wig and scarf section. Very informative, I almost wish that I had this information before I went wig shopping but with my hair loss being imminent (OK, it has already started, hoping to get to my hair appointment on Tuesday next week not being too much of a casualty) I am actually glad that I have a wig at the ready. I have told myself that I will reward myself with another wig mid-chemo and again before radiation starts as a morale booster.  Now I have more information to help guide me in my selection.

Some of the main points given regarding hair loss/wigs -

  • Your oncologist will let you know if you will lose your hair or if it may only thin (I was told I would lose my hair and given a prescription for a wig so I can claim with my extended health benefits at work - tip - ask for a prescription even if you don't have extended health benefits, this will allow for claiming on income tax as a medical expense)
  • Expect to be wearing a wig or head coverings for about a year and plan accordingly. 
  • Hair loss usually begins day twelve with an itching scalp (at day 11 for me yesterday was it the power of suggestion that my scalp was itching during the session? ;)
  • If you want your wig to match your usual style and colour, the appointment for a wig fitting should be made prior to hair loss to allow for this 
  • Ask a trusted friend or two to accompany you for their honest opinions when you go wig shopping
  • Allow for 45 minutes to an hour for a wig fitting and call in advance. Don't feel pressured to buy at that appointment and do try on lots of different styles and colours, this can be an opportunity to use the 'lemons to make lemonade'  - have some fun! One of the ladies at the session last evening said she liked the wig she tried on better than her own hair and wanted to purchase it on the spot.
  •  Don't try to shave your head yourself, this can be an infection risk. The suggestion is to make an appointment at a salon and have the hair 'buzzed' to about 1/4 to 1/8th of an inch around day 14 post chemo). Doing this allows for some control of the hair loss process and prevents hair everywhere once it starts
  • Scalps still need to be shampooed and conditioned, moisturizer is also recommended once the hair is gone.
  • A monofilament wig with a lace front is something to consider even though they may be a little more expensive, the monofilament top makes for a more realistic 'scalp under the hair' look and the lace front allows for sweeping the hair back from the face better.
  • Make sure you find out the recommended way to care for your wig and purchase the required supplies at the time of the wig purchase, they are fairly reasonable. At the class they recommended washing the wig every week if it is being worn daily
  • Once your hair has gone on vacation, a good way to determine where your hairline should be is to use the 'four finger rule' - place your baby finger horizontally across your brow bone and rest your other three fingers right next to each other. Where your index finger lies is where the front of your wig should sit on your forehead.
  • Some synthetic wigs are heat resistant, make sure you know whether yours is or not. If it isn't don't use blow dryers, flat or curling irons on it and be very careful when opening oven or dishwasher doors, stand back from the heat and steam. Apparently this is a major cause of wig casualties
  • For scarves, there are videos on you-tube which demonstrate different scarf tying techniques and tips, one of the easiest and most secure ways is not to tie but to use scrunchies to gather the ends of the scarves. I have added some links to some sites that show scarf tying tips
  • For headwear, I promise that I am not getting any kickbacks from this company but I have been very impressed by them so I am going to recommend them based on my experience. The company is Headcovers Unlimited, I believe they are based in Houston, Texas, The link is to the right of my blog under the title 'Great Headwear'. I have ordered several turbans from them which I love, they look great with or without hair under them (or wig) and three really cute caps - denim, khaki and a blue/brown check. These caps and turbans provide complete head coverage and are quite reasonable in price. I ordered two caps and a scarve yesterday and they arrived this a.m., shipping was very reasonable and I love my purchases, when wearing them I don't feel like I look so much like a cancer patient 
  • This site also sells wigs on-line butI haven't investigated this part of their business
Turbans, caps and scarf purchased from Headcovers, Unlimited

So, that's it! My post for today, hope it might be helpful for anyone that is following a similar path or someone that wants to assist someone who is.

Take care.
 













3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I take it not too many side effects from the first batch of chemo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too bad, Al, the first evening wasn't fun, but after that I was able to control the nausea with meds. I was pretty tired by day 4 and 5 but feeling better every day after that. Hair isn't a casualty quite yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's nice to hear. It was nice reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete