Thursday, September 27, 2012

Blessings

Today I attended the first meeting of a book club organized by my friend Dawn. She provided the first book for us to review as a gift to me shortly after my surgery. The name of the book is 'Birthmark' and the author is Suzanne Benner. I very much enjoyed reading this novel which centers around adoption and identity and discussing it today with the other ladies that attended. The highlight of today's session was having the author of the book stop by to answer questions and share in our discussion. She is a lovely lady and I enjoyed her answers to our questions and hearing the process of how the book came to be.

One of the other ladies who attended today knew of me through Dawn. Her husband is also going through  chemotherapy currently. It touched me that she brought a hand-made prayer shawl to give to me without even having met me. I look forward to getting to know her better over the months that we get together for the bookclub.

After the discussion ended,  I needed to leave for an appointment. The other ladies were getting ready to eat a lovely looking (and smelling) lunch. Those who know me and Rod were a little confused when I told them that the appointment was for my car. Normally Rod's business would take care of my automotive repairs and they found it strange that I needed to make an appointment with Rod to have my car worked on in the first place and second that he wouldn't understand if  I was late for it. That made me laugh! This appointment was for my windshield on the car I bought last October. In order to maintain the warranty I have to have the diamond finish 'revitalized' yearly and the appointment was at a local auto glass shop, The finish was an expensive add-on when I purchased the car and I wanted to make sure I made the October 8th deadline in order to not void the warranty. With chemo planned for Tuesday next week and us going away for the following week there was a small window to accomplish this. 

The 'revitalization' didn't take long, I wish there was a similar process for humans that could be done in a similar timeframe! ;). Once completed, the receptionist came over to me in the waiting room and handed me my keys, telling me my car was ready and I could go. I told her that  from information provided when the appointment was booked there was supposed to be a fee charged. She seemed surprised, went to have a look, responded that indeed there was and thanked me for reminding her. Little did she know that as I was driving over I happened to see a sign outside of a church that said something to the effect that an item stolen became a burden to the thief. I didn't need that! ;)

When I bought the car I was also persuaded to take out a disability insurance on my loan. I had never done this with previous purchases. This claim was one that I submitted a couple of weeks ago. It took quite a bit of work to gather all the information from work and my physicians that the company required. I was a little pessimistic that I probably wouldn't qualify as it seemed there was a lot of hoops to jump through and clauses that I felt could be used to deny a claim. I almost didn't submit the claim once I read through the forms they provided me.

When I got home there was a message on my answering machine. I returned the call and found out that my claim was approved! My car payments will be made for me for the period of my disability. The agent said they enjoyed giving good news to people and wished me well. I feel blessed :)

Take care everyone.


1 comment:

  1. You did right telling the girl about the fee. "An item stolen became a burden to the thief" - I like that and it is VERY true.

    ReplyDelete