Wednesday, September 5, 2012

One more down ...

I made it once again ;) Chemo treatment #2 completed yesterday afternoon, my neutrophils decided to behave themselves.

Yesterday was also Rod and my 30th wedding anniversary, we are definitely going to have to make up for this one and do it up right when we celebrate next year's anniversary.

I found I was a little more emotional this time around when it came to being taken to the treatment area by Sue, my nurse at the beginning. I think it was because I knew a little more what I was in for and that the administration part of the chemo, for me, is not the most difficult part, it is the evening and night that follows. I was feeling so good for the past week that it was difficult to once again place myself in the chemo area. I was given a bed this time, which was a nice change from last time and I made sure that I drank a lot before, during and after the chemo.

Sue worked in ICU back when I worked in Emergency and Day Medicine, I'm sure I delivered patients to her from Emergency at times. Very reassuring to know that once again, I had an experienced nurse working with me. A definite answer to prayer.

Sue also has three boys in their twenties, who all played hockey, one more thing we had in common and helped make me comfortable with her.

I started the chemo at 3:30 and we left the area about 6 pm. I took a gravol at 6:30 as we were driving home. Once home Rod and I made a quick supper and then went out for a good walk. Shortly after returning from the walk I began to feel everything hit me, it wasn't so much nausea this time as a very 'spacy' head with some ringing in the ears and wanting to lie down and sleep, which I did, making sure that I had my comfort quilt hugging me and my 'bubble' picture from Lilly and Keiran spread out in front of me. The timing of the arrival of this picture could not have been more perfect.
Bubble painting was an item on Lilly's Long  List of Things to Do this Summer (I took a little license in the name of the list).

Lilly added a verse to the painting that I read over and over, the verse is 2 Kings 20:5 - This is what the Lord says, I have heard your prayer and I will heal you.

The other verse I kept quoting was Phillipians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

I did manage to sleep for most of the night with the worst time between 1:45 and 2:30, before I could take another dose of gravol, definitely better than last time. Now that I feel that the worst part of the nausea has passed I have switched to the maxeran for the day time hours, so I am not so sleepy. I'll use the gravol again during the night.

One thing that we didn't plan very well was transportation. I picked Rod up from his business with my car, and I was impaired on the way home so could not drop him off to drive his own truck home. As a result Rod has my car today and I had the perfect excuse to stay home and lounge around for the day.

Now to get moving a little more.

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment