Saturday, September 15, 2012

Us Shallow Gals

On Thursday of this week I went for a physiotherapy appointment to help with my right arm and pain issues related to cording that occurs sometimes when lymph nodes are removed. I had a student physiotherapist assess me with a licensed physiotherapist acting as her mentor. I continue to be impressed with the quality of education that students in the health care fields are getting these days and also with the mentorship provided by those who are already working in the profession.

Friday found me having a busy day of running errands in the morning, then meeting Ev and Vicki for a nice, relaxed lunch. Even with fast food I find that it is not difficult to eat healthy. While on vacation we stopped at a Subway and found that all the subs offered also come without the bread or condiments as salads, customization welcomed. Rod has also found this at mexican restaurants like Mucho Burrito where he orders a bowl that has the meat and toppings, without the tortilla shells. The reason I mention this is that there was a Pita Pit restaurant close to Compassionate Beauty where we decided that we would meet and eat. All the fillings that would go into the pitas are also offered as salads, which is what we all ended up having, with bottled water to drink. Following lunch, there was still some time so we ended up in Ev's car, driving to her daughter and son-in-law's house and going on an impromptu tour. They bought an older home in a great neighbourhood and are upgrading, lots of work done already, the refinished hardwood floors kind of stole my attention, they were beautifully done.

We then headed back over to the Tim Horton's in the same area and chatted some more over mint tea. As Vicki left she pulled out a bag of my favorite black licorice and handed it to me. Obviously she has been reading my blog ;). What a wonderful treat for Rod and I to share this morning.

My appointment at Compassionate Beauty was all I had hoped it would be. It had been recommended to me by the nurse navigator at the Breast Health Clinic to wait for 2 - 3 months to allow for adequate healing prior to having a prosthesis fitted. This was the day. I could have gone to a few drugstores or home medical supply companies in the city for this but that didn't feel quite right and I wondered about the degree of attention or privacy I would get. When I walked into Compassionate Beauty I was greeted by the receptionist who is a fellow breast cancer survivor, very warm and friendly. Lydia was my fitter and she immediately made me feel comfortable, at home and her demeanour showed me that this was one lady who knew what she was doing. I was taken to a private room and we went to work. It was like having my sister or best friend with me, only one that had real expertise in this area. One comment she made as she fitted me that brought a smile to my face was  in reference to "...us shallow gals'. Hmmm, never thought of myself in quite that way before, but so be it. I walked out wearing the prosthesis and new bra, feeling more comfortable than I had since the surgery. Best part is that there is a program in our province that pays 75% of the prosthesis and fitting fee so I was left with a negligible amount that my other insurances will cover. I was also told that the massage that I was going to use my gift certificate for is fully covered by my insurance as long as I have a prescription for it from my doctor, I just happen to have one. That means I get to use my gift certificate from Carol and girls for one or more of the cute hats that I spied while in the store. Double bonus!

On top of this, I was fitted for a lymphedema sleeve and gauntlet for my right arm, they will be ready for me in time for flying to Vancouver Island in October. The cabin pressure in an airplane can trigger swelling and potentially lymphedema so these garments are advised as a preventative measure.This will also be covered by insurance. Wonderful that it doesn't have to come out of pocket, I am appreciating the insurance more and more, even with all the paperwork involved.

As I was leaving, Lydia made a joke that she must have thought better of as she apologized for joking about such a serious matter. I winked at her and told her that was OK, us 'shallow gals' tend to use humor like that.

Take care, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment