Monday, September 17, 2012

Running around

This will be a short post today, I think I tried to do a little too much lately and ran out of gas this evening.

Yesterday was church in the morning, a nice lunch out with our friends Steve and Kris at Moxie's followed by a brief nap for me and then a trip over to the hospital to see my Mom. Mom had just had a shower so it was good timing. I put some curlers in her hair while Rod chatted with her. I took her laundry home, got it washed and dried and ready to bring back to her for today.

I am gradually feeling more comfortable wearing wigs and actually sometimes forget that I'm wearing one, a nice feeling as it means I am not self-conscious and able to relax and be 'me'.

This morning I went into work for a couple of meetings, it was so good to see everyone again, I miss them all very much. One person who I worked with more when I was in my former role of training stopped me and told me how much she liked my hair this way. Maybe eventually I will be able to smile and say thank you to compliments like that but I'm not quite there yet. I confessed that it was a wig. This lady's background is oncology so we had a bit of a chat, it was nice to talk with someone who was very familiar with chemo and the effects of chemo. As we parted, I loved the comment that she made to me and I hope that I can quote it properly. She said 'if your outward appearance is any indication of your inner strength then you are doing amazing'. This lady needs to start writing, what a way with words!

Once done with my work meetings and a little visiting with my co-workers I went home and changed to workout gear, grabbed some books and Mom's laundry, went to the post office, then drove over to the University for my fitness testing for the BEAUTY program. This program is funded by another program in the city called 'Wings of Hope'. Following this testing and one more two hour meeting to go through the results and a recommended program for me, I will have access to the 'clean gym' and twice weekly classes as well as bi-weekly sessions on topics such as sleep, diet and stress management. I look forward to it.

The testing was two hours and afterwards I went to the hospital to take Mom her clean clothes, return some library books and then headed to Costco. I thnk I actually remembered most of the things I didn't want to forget to buy this time and Kenny helped me get it all in from the garage. That is when the adrenalin I was running on abruptly left me. I don't think it helps that my blood pressure seems to continue to run on the low side, at today's testing it was 84/60 and 90/60 while at rest, maybe there's not enough stress in my life ;). Time for my trusty recliner and a review of those words on the card a bit ago that admonished me that 'it's OK not to be amazing some of the time'. This is definitely one of those times.

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment