Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Being 'mommy-sat'

Every Tuesday evening in the summer, my husband has hockey. I could see Rod was getting a little restless around the house so I suggested that he should go. He seemed unsure but also a little excited at the opportunity so he checked with our 17 year old, Kenny to see if he planned to be around during the evening. Once that was established, Rod took himself off to hockey and I was 'mommy-sat' for the first time by Kenny.
He came and hugged and kissed me and then stood by my chair and talked. I have another confession to make (what is it about blogging that seems to bring that out in me?). When any of my boys are talking to me for any length of time, I get very distracted. I look at them and drink in their appearance, thinking to myself how very beautiful they are and I totally lose track of the topic of conversation but try to keep up and make intelligent responses. Don't tell my guys that I think they are beautiful, OK? It's just between us ;)
I'm starting to get into this routine, it will be a rude awakening when Rod decides it's time to stop serving me breakfast in bed; for now I'll just bask in it. It makes for a very gentle and relaxed start to the day. Following breakfast I read a little and then get up and shower and dress for the day. For that effort I allow myself (read 'need') a little time in the recliner with my arm up on a pillow, so I listen to music, read or watch a video.
This a.m. Rod and I walked outside again, along my favorite ridge overlooking the provincial park. There was a very clear view of the mountains today and they were beautiful, they still appear to have a fair amount of snow on them. I made it a little farther than I did last time we walked and there are conveniently placed benches along the path to rest on, so we took advantage of one and the view it provided before heading back to the house.
Lunch was served by Rod out on the deck - tuna coleslaw salad with peanuts in it and hard-boiled eggs on the side. This was followed by a painkiller and a nice afternoon nap in my recliner; once again being 'mommy-sat' by Kenny while Rod took his friend Boyd out for a late lunch.
I called yesterday about a postop appointment with my surgeon but apparently the drains have to be draining less than 25 ml in 24 hours and then they will be removed at the same time as the appointment and results review. It doesn't appear that this will happen until next week. So, another reprieve before another round of appointments. I'm enjoying it.
Take care
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment