Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Confession

Today, I have some more confessions to make. First of all, I cheated on my husband today.
I know I'm going to have to clarify this statement right away so people won't be too upset or shocked with me.
My husband asked me to help him lose weight a little over a year ago. He asked me if I could find a diet that would work for him. I did some research and I did some praying and we found a diet that has been incredibly successful, he has lost over 80 lbs. since starting it mid-June 2011 and I am incredibly proud of him. One of the other requests he made of me was that I would need to join him in eating the way he did in order for him to be able to stick to the diet. For one whole year plus, I have done this for him, benefiting  by feeling better than I have ever felt in my life and losing some weight myself, although nothing as dramatic as his weight loss. The diet is fairly strict regarding simple carbohydrates but allows for one cheat day a week, we generally have our cheat day on Saturdays.
Fast forward to today. Not once have I succumbed to temptation to cheat on a non-cheat day until today. A beautiful box of decadent chocolate dipped strawberries (huge!!!) was delivered this afternoon and I took one look at them and helped myself. My thought at the time was, 'what's the worst that could happen? Oh, yeah, that's already happened' ;)
Good to get that off my chest, as well as a few other things (pun intended).
The second confession goes along with the first item.
I'm not that strong.
People keep telling me how strong I am - Tazzy, one of the wonderful ladies I have gotten to know a little through joining the breastcancer.org forum has a saying in her signature - 'You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have'. I love this saying, it speaks to me everytime I see it in her posts on the forum.
What I have realized though, through all the practises I have had leading up to this moment in time for me and through watching my sister-in-law and family through the loss of my 16 year old niece a few years ago is that I could try to do it alone, but why would I if I can have a team around me? This is actually something I identified publicly prior to receiving my diagnosis. My health region was celebrating with long service awards and I was one of the people being honored for my long service this year. I was asked to give a brief statement as to what I had learned over my years of service and I had stated that I had learned that 'it takes a village' and how important team work within my team and in working with other teams was in my role at work, whether on the front lines as a nurse or more in the background in my IT role. I always do much better with a team working with me or supporting me, sometimes I'm the one carrying the puck and other times I'm more in the role of a supporting player. A team is so much stronger than any single individual on it.
Why not carry this over to my diagnosis and gather a strong support system around me? I have so many  people offering and willing to support me through this,  if I had tried to go it alone and not told people about my diagnosis and planned treatment, I may have missed out in so many ways.
I am not strong. I have a God who is strong and provides what I need when I need it, part of this provision is through a strong team surrounding and supporting me.
I am blessed!

3 comments:

  1. I was reminded when you wrote about "the village" of the story about the perfect wife in Proverbs 31:10-31. I was in a ladies group and we were planning an event and these verses came to mind about there is no such wife or husband if you were to change the wording. But as we worked together we became the perfect wife, bringing our gifts and talents. And that is how we need to deal with all times in valley's and mountain tops. We are here for you in a Godly way, through prayer, hugs, meals and sharing stories. We love you with God's love that is sufficent.
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for bringing us along on your journey and challenges. Congrats on realizing you have a village to rely on and that it is okay to do exactly that! Your strength comes from within and then joins with the strength of the many around you...God's love will get us all through this with you. Daily prayers and love from Phil and Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree Laura, I know how impossible it would have been to go through the loss of our Tiffany alone, the support of my family and friends was immeasurably important and kept me and the whole family "strong" in a time when nothing else could keep us going. I am so glad that we can all offer this support to you and your family now. God Bless! Love Carol

    ReplyDelete